Cadet Leadership Course, CTC Frimley Park

Not sure if this is the best place for it but I was shocked to recently read the entry standard to the course.

Age - 16 yrs and 18 yrs 9 months
Males -30 pressups followed by a 1.5 mile run in under 11.5 minutes
Females - 15 pressups and 1.5 mile run in 14 minutes

I was shocked as the RN entry standard is

Age - 15 yrs and 24 yrs
Males -1.5 mile run in under 11.13 minutes
Females - 1.5 mile run in 13.15 minutes

and the RAF standard is

Age - 17 yrs and 29 yrs
Males -20 press-ups and 35 sit-ups and 1.5 mile run in under 11.11 minutes
Females - 10 press-ups and 32 sit-ups and 1.5 mile run in 13.23 minutes

Seems a bit steep a standard, what do they do on the course to require this?

There is a lot of Physical activity, Field phase with Route marches and the Sandhurst confidence course plus a lot of Orienteering type things- you can visit if you’re interested? I went last year and would reccommend anyone going along to see- I will post the visitor details by PM to anyone interested.

yes please

If you are in the Army you can see the trawl for staff I am told. Think the visits are only for CFAV but I will ask.

I think that the answer is that the RN and RAF standards are weak!

Though bear in mind that the RAFFT gives you one minute to do the press-ups, whereas the Army PFT gives you 2 minutes.

The standards for CLC are still lower than the standards for Army entry (non-infantry).

You could say that but there is a difference in the input/output level of the 3 forces. The RN don’t do press ups and sit ups, we do a weighted carry. It does not make them more or less capable than the RAF or Army, each have different requirements.

I am just surprised how high the level was in comparison. I would be interested to hear/see what they do in more depth to require that standard. I have know multiple people that have passed all different forces training (Army, RN and RAF) but cannot achieve the CLC standards.

they wouldn’t have passed army training as the run time for that age bracket in training is 10:30