Cadet Heartstart Instructor

can cadets still become heartstart instructors or do they need gold first aid?

ACTO 008 details the requirements, cadets can deliver HeartStart but need to have completed AFA and MOI (Instructor Cadet). They also need to be registered with the WFAO to deliver the course and should receive the Heartstart Instructor certificate.

Gold badge allows cadets to deliver the YFA course, and consists of 8 days training which includes the full AFA syllabus, MOI, assessor and CASSIM training. Need minimum of MAC, YFA and aged 17 to apply for the training.

Since you seem to be in the know - does the PTS mean that cadets now cannot attend a wing-run AFA course and then teach YFA? Assuming they are already an over 18 staff cadet

That would be one way to justify wasting a week to get a gold badge.

So why is it staff can do YFA without any of that?
If like me as an FAW who hasn’t been through any Corps run First Aid, can do YFA.

You could be a 20 year old CI no previous cadet experience and deliver YFA.

Why when so much is made of keeping cadets post 18, are things made so bloody awkward for them. It is crazy.

Exactly my thoughts - really, eight days to do something that we can already do in two…

There are Instructor cadets out there with AFA qualifications and HeartStart Instructor tickets.
This is the bulk of the gold course and there needs to be an upgrade route from the silver badge to the gold badge that doesn’t involve 8 days doing the same stuff again.

As has been said, a member of staff with an adult FA ticket and some relevant teaching qualification is in the same boat as a cadet with an adult FA ticket and an MOI qualification when it comes to delivering and assessing YFA.

I don’t think cadets need to achieve the Gold First Aid Instructor Badge to teach YFA. They just need to be AFA with MOI and authorised by WFAO to instruct/assess. The extra requirements are just to achieve the Gold Badge but the course also covers assessing and allows cadets to assess AFA as well as YFA.