Cadet Headdress

What types of Headdress can Cadets wear for instance, I am from the North but I live and attend the cadets in Kent can I only wear a Beret or is there other types, I have seen many cadet from my home city wearing plumes in their beret or some type side cap, can any one help???

Cadets can only wear Berets unless they are in a position to wear No1’s where they can wear a peaked cap.

Band members may wear plumes when performing.

Side caps or forage caps are not to be worn by cadets.

Thanks

I assume the cadets with “plumes” in their beret are actually Army cadets badged to regiments that wear the a hackle. GVC wear side caps.

What is your “home city”?

[quote=“Scrounger” post=24758]Cadets can only wear Berets unless they are in a position to wear No1’s where they can wear a peaked cap.
Side caps or forage caps are not to be worn by cadets.[/quote]

Actually, hackles and plumes “are not to be worn” by Air Cadet personnel. (0604b)

The Glengarry may be worn with highland dress by authorised band members.

Oh, and turbans for Sikhs.

[quote=“incubus” post=24770][quote=“Scrounger” post=24758]Cadets can only wear Berets unless they are in a position to wear No1’s where they can wear a peaked cap.
Side caps or forage caps are not to be worn by cadets.[/quote]

Actually, hackles and plumes “are not to be worn” by Air Cadet personnel. (0604b)

The Glengarry may be worn with highland dress by authorised band members.

Oh, and turbans for Sikhs.[/quote]

And for the sake of completeness, Hijabs for female muslim cadets and Yarmulkes for male Jewish cadets (when not wearing another form of headgear).

Out of morbid curiosity, and to derail the topic slightly if a Staff member has completed certain courses in a previous Military Career, are they allowed to wear berets of a different colour with current cap badge, and relevant badges? When/if they choose to step into uniform…

If I remember correctly its only permitted if serving under certain units? 16th Air Assault or 3 Cdo Brigade? Does anyone have a quote of the regs?

“0221: Furthermore, ACO personnel should not wear accoutrements affiliating them to non-RAF organizations such as regimental stable belts, berets and badges; only ACO approved variants are permitted.”

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=24782]Out of morbid curiosity, and to derail the topic slightly if a Staff member has completed certain courses in a previous Military Career, are they allowed to wear berets of a different colour with current cap badge, and relevant badges? When/if they choose to step into uniform…

If I remember correctly its only permitted if serving under certain units? 16th Air Assault or 3 Cdo Brigade? Does anyone have a quote of the regs?[/quote]

There was a cadet on here years ago claiming that his squadron were invited to wear maroon berets because they were on an airborne unit’s base. He was quickly put right. (I doubt the veracity of his claims however, as I’m sure if cadets were in maroon berets someone would have found a picture of such a violation and put it on here by now.)

[quote=“Baldrick” post=24787][quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=24782]Out of morbid curiosity, and to derail the topic slightly if a Staff member has completed certain courses in a previous Military Career, are they allowed to wear berets of a different colour with current cap badge, and relevant badges? When/if they choose to step into uniform…

If I remember correctly its only permitted if serving under certain units? 16th Air Assault or 3 Cdo Brigade? Does anyone have a quote of the regs?[/quote]

There was a cadet on here years ago claiming that his squadron were invited to wear maroon berets because they were on an airborne unit’s base. He was quickly put right. (I doubt the veracity of his claims however, as I’m sure if cadets were in maroon berets someone would have found a picture of such a violation and put it on here by now.)[/quote]

Although if I recall correctly there is/was an ACF unit who were allowed to wear the 3 Cdo Brigade TRF.

[quote=“daws@1159” post=24788][quote=“Baldrick” post=24787][quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=24782]Out of morbid curiosity, and to derail the topic slightly if a Staff member has completed certain courses in a previous Military Career, are they allowed to wear berets of a different colour with current cap badge, and relevant badges? When/if they choose to step into uniform…

There was a cadet on here years ago claiming that his squadron were invited to wear maroon berets because they were on an airborne unit’s base. He was quickly put right. (I doubt the veracity of his claims however, as I’m sure if cadets were in maroon berets someone would have found a picture of such a violation and put it on here by now.)[/quote]

Although if I recall correctly there is/was an ACF unit who were allowed to wear the 3 Cdo Brigade TRF.[/quote]

And his reasons were? Not that it means anything special, the rifles were given them too. And a lot of Booties quickly removed them.

So its a no to staff who have served in the Royal Marines/Parachute Regiment/similar? What about the relevant badges?

i have seen a VRT Officer who was a former Marine wear his green beret with RAF Officer cap badge. this was a RIAT some years ago and i did question it with others in my group, one of whom was also a former Marine and was told “yes it is permitted” - i never took it upon myself to check and took their word for it but as incubus has highlighted if it was permitted it certainly isn’t anymore…

[quote=“daws@1159” post=24788]
Although if I recall correctly there is/was an ACF unit who were allowed to wear the 3 Cdo Brigade TRF.[/quote]

No ACF cadet is allowed to wear such a TRF.

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=24782]Out of morbid curiosity, and to derail the topic slightly if a Staff member has completed certain courses in a previous Military Career, are they allowed to wear berets of a different colour with current cap badge, and relevant badges? When/if they choose to step into uniform…

That is my understanding as well. Once you leave the unit in question you can no longer wear the beret, but you can continue to wear the appropriate badge (if earned).

Sadly not. The regs Incubus has quoted remain extant but you can wear parachute wings or commando dagger if qualified to do so and have furnished evidence of entitlement.

It used to happen but not anymore. We had a Regiment FS (ex-II Sqn, later WO) who completed the RM Commando course and occasionally wore his green lid with an RAF cap badge on days when he was feeling belligerent. I never saw an officer brave enough to tell him not to.

I think I know the man in question, did he also spend some time with 2 REP?

As for the Red Dagger and black background,its my understanding that its awarded to those completing the AACC, and Royals are awarded the Commando flashes with the Green Lid at the end of the 30 Miler (it used to be the red dagger on black which is no longer worn by Royals)
Is it to just be treated the same and an Ex Bootneck to just wear the red dagger?

PM Inbound.

I know an ex-para CI who wears his maroon beret while doing Nijmegen in uniform.

To be fair, that’s slightly less walty than a CI wearing a cadet one.