Cadet expansion programme CCF unit closure

I know someone who has just got a job as an SSI at a CEP CCF (not RAF section). They were an external candidate with no links to the school at all.

Their role is 2 days a week, one paid by the school & the other by HQ of the section in question.

For CEP, that’s good; in theory an SSI can work one day a week (and the MOD will pay) but in practice that’s not workable in the modern world. Some CEP schools share an SSI with another school - works quite well where schools are close e.g. London.

SSIs don’t usually have any previous links to the school - the job requires an ex-regular, really, ideally a SNCO. Not always possible though due to the part time nature.

Cadet Expansion Programme has seen two Welsh colleges approved

FE colleges for cadets. Are they clutching at straws with allowing FE colleges to bid?
Is 16-19 the right age group considering that you can join when you are 12 and much of the PTS is aimed at that age group. I know I am coming at this from an RAFAC point of view but I would the syllabus for the CCF would be aimed at the 12 to 18 age group.

Also with one of the new units being in my wing the closest sqn is 3 miles away, there are another 2 at 6 miles another 3 at 10 and another 2 at 12 miles. That is 8 units within 12 miles

Now which units are for the axe (merger)?

Hello there,

I know you posted this a long time ago but I just wanted to say thank you.

Sadly we lost our fight to keep our CCF but I am looking into creating a documentary to show our appreciation for it. I stumbled across this while doing some research and it really struck a chord with me and I knew I had to reply.

They did open an ACF shortly after, however not many cadets joined as it was only Army and some didn’t want to change sections. We also lost the convenience of it being in directly after school and in the grounds, as it is now out of town, meaning many couldn’t attend.

I really appreciate your kind words, and I wish everything we did was enough to save it.

Thank you all again.

PO Hobbs

5 Likes