Cadet beret on or off

Does a cadet have to put beret on when entering staff office

depends how much trouble they are in.

Short answer is yes.We are a military youth organisation .If a cadet comes to the office on the sqn whether it be the admin office or my office he or she should wear their beret.Its done in the forces as a mark of respect(at least in recruit training not so much once your beyond that).If a cadets coming to see me i usually (once there in the office) offer them a seat and tell them to take their beret off.If their getting a bollocking mind its as previously mentioned a different matter.

There is a custom to. But some squadrons shun it in favour of practicalities - or simply not knowing/understanding the customs!

Well done for having your own office @1993 ! Not many can lay claim to their own offices around our way!!!

1 Like

I went from a nice office as an OC Sqn to having a locker at WHQ. my house is full of stuff now :frowning:

2 Likes

common courtesy say yes…

Depends on the precise local rule, but I’d say yes until you’ve been told otherwise.

Generally on all the units I’ve been on, the only time a cadet hasn’t had to is if they are actually ‘working’ in the office, which generally means only those of SNCO rank or above are excused, if any.

I always used to say that the first time someone came in to the office they should salute, and then again if they are summoned there. If cadets are flitting in and out doing duties or makings drinks etc I didn’t expect them to do it every time.

1 Like

In the squadron I attend, always.

On my squadron yes Always…unless they want a quicker exit than they where expecting…

On, always. If a cadet turns up at my office without a beret on they will be told to go away and come back when properly dressed. (Exceptions to this rule include telling me the Squadron is on fire or that someone’s head has fallen off).

1 Like

Exceptions …!!! you are too soft…