Bye Bye RCivCom?

“Not thought through the implications”?
Shorely shome mishtake? (with apologies to Private Eye)

We’re “One RAFAC”. But we have many many versions of the same rules, none of which ever seem to be in writing!

1 Like

yes and this it the key point (my bold) - running events is a big step away from “support”

this is exactly how I understand the RCWC role to be until this morning…

…like I say I don’t know any and never knowingly met any to need to know what they did, but always took it they attended in support of 24 yr old Sgt Jones who was event IC and without a D1 licence and the only CFAV available to attend the event which required 2 adults.

today is school day

It wasn’t policed, that’s the issue.

The only thing I expect is outside the intended remit that I would consider fair would be running their own fundraising events with cadets.

You cannot legally be a member of a charity and at the same time linked to the control of beneficiaries. The Civcom has to be Independent otherwise it easy to see that the organisation gets to control the Charities. The rules actually say that the Civcom is independent and not accountable to the RAFAC, so somewhere along the line the wires got crossed.

15 Likes

Care to share the legislation?

2 Likes

Perhaps if a 1000 charity’s threw their teddy’s out then the Charity Commission might show some interest
and that might cause a problem or two and we don’t want that do we children Nooooooo.

I think you have bigger fish to fry than just the CWC on this point as plenty of charities have users as trustees and this is supported by guidance from the charity commission.(Users on board: beneficiaries who become trustees - GOV.UK).

Feel free to share your letter to them with us when you write to correct them

8 Likes

There are loads of trusts where the trustee is also a beneficiary. Say the eldest sibling holding inherited property on trust for all siblings?

In charity law, if you couldn’t have trustees with an interest, you’d start to struggle to find any at all.

4 Likes

Ah trust law - the easiest point being that so many people use the generic term “trust” without knowing if they talking discretionary, IIP or any of the other many many types of trust.

3 Likes

Secret Trusts are the best, I might set up a few in my will just for the LOLs

3 Likes

You would be the worst type of client :sweat_smile:

Lawyers always are. I had some dreadful ones in my PI days

2 Likes