Burma Spitfires

So it seems there’s something there!

BBC - Burma Spitfires

A large wooden crate and lots of water?

but what’s in the water?

Usually a mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen 2:1 ratio.

I’ll get my coat…

I saw pictures posted somewhere on the web relating to this strange story which purported to show (implausably) the rigged full silhouettes of winged Spits. This would not have normally ever been the case, during transport or storage the wings would have been removed and the crated fuselage/wing carton would have been a longitudinal box, not an enormous unmovable…hanger-hut.

These pics were done using millimetric underground RADAR (allegedly), and gave results visually-similar to ground geophysics/resistivity plots from ‘Timewatch’. I now can’t find them… :mad:

A truely-weird tale. I seriously hope they have something useable at the end of all this…

wilf_san

ps [quote=“Operation Exile” post=2820]Usually a mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen 2:1 ratio.

I’ll get my coat…[/quote]

Back when I was at school, that used to be referred to as Di-Hydrogen Oxide…what, er, something like that, anyway B)

[quote=“Operation Exile” post=2820]Usually a mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen 2:1 ratio.

I’ll get my coat…[/quote]Strictly speaking, it’s more like 1:8, but that’s just my being pedantic. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“MattB” post=2849][quote=“Operation Exile” post=2820]Usually a mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen 2:1 ratio.
I’ll get my coat…[/quote]Strictly speaking, it’s more like 1:8, but that’s just my being pedantic. :P[/quote]
Also strictly speaking not a mixture :wink:

They found one!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151352039799929&set=a.419781864928.181064.21290394928&type=1&theater

No they haven’t

Did you actually see the pic killjoy?

Anywho, that’s a shame. But considering how wet it is there, They won’t be in excellent condition if they are there.

I did yes, and read the article. Why?

I stand by my original comments about this weird story. Why were they meant to be burying what were current-type aircraft, flown by the RAF and others up until the late 1950s, after the Japanese surrender? Where did these underground RADAR pictures (the ghostly Spit-shaped ones) come from, and where did they go?

It sounded so good, but the more I hear, the more doubtful I become.

wilf_san

[quote=“wilf_san” post=3276]I stand by my original comments about this weird story. Why were they meant to be burying what were current-type aircraft, flown by the RAF and others up until the late 1950s, after the Japanese surrender? Where did these underground RADAR pictures (the ghostly Spit-shaped ones) come from, and where did they go?

It sounded so good, but the more I hear, the more doubtful I become.

wilf_san[/quote]

Perhaps, with the war having ended, it would have cost more than the aircraft were worth to bring them home? Mark Nine’s weren’t exactly state of the art by 1945. (Knowing the state of supply in the Far East those aircraft were probably ordered in 1942 and had only just arrived!)

I’ve heard similar stories of Sherman tanks being buried in the UK, but no-one’s ever found one. I have also heard stories of huge amounts of staff cars and lorries being loaded onto aircraft carriers in the Med, simply for them to be pushed overboard on the return trip, and the americans burying jeeps in the English countryside. The reason I was told by the relevant veteran was that there were so many vehicles at the end of the war, that if they had all been brought back here we would have killed our own car industry.

(Op Nim: Never mind, attempt at humour failed.)

EDIT: Mark 14s apparently, not 9s. Roman Numeral Fail.

Although a setback, particularly in the eyes who expected or wanted instant results and success, I hope they keep going.

One only has to think of the “mad” American who thought they’d go looking for a P-38 inside a glacier (which now flies), or the chaps who went to Calais in 1980 remove a Spitfire from the beach (which now flies), or the countless USN aircraft that have appeared from within Lake Michigan (and now grace the skies).

Someone needs to be mad enough to think they can do it. And hopefully they come back with something, even if it’s just a handful of parts.

My dad was 12 when the war ended and told me when I was a youngster that he remembered clearly the Americans turning up at the local tip, where they bulldozed out a big hole. They then drove in quite a few jeeps, which were parked on the edge of the hole and then pushed in, one by one. The hole was then bulldozed over. Not sure I’d want to be looking for them now, given that landfill site has been in use for 70-odd years since !

Such things did indeed happen. The US 3rd Army was stationed in these parts prior to its departure for Normandy in August 1944. When they departed, one of the US units pushed a whole pile of Jeeps, trucks and other heavy equipment into the 100 foot-deep water of a disused slate quarry. This pile of vehicles was used for many years as a training dive for the local sub-aqua club.