Building Maintenance

I have a standard spooner hut and recently some of the wooden paneling has come away from the wall and I now have two large holes along one side of the building. You can put your hand through them into the plasterboard on the wall inside!

Although the building is in a reasonable condition inside for its age, the wood on the outside has dried out and is cracking because of a historical lack of maintenance. This happened last year and an emergency contractor came out the next day.

But now I’ve been told there is no money available to fix what I would say is an urgent problem and will have to wait until funds are available (but they don’t know when that will be!).

Has anyone else had similar problems with urgent repairs recently and do you think there any way I can get this sorted officially? So far I’ve resorted to putting bin bags and duct tape over the holes. :frowning:

Sadly not. There literally is “no money”. Unofficially nail a board over it and put mastic around the edges before you do.

Don’t accept no money as an excuse!

When was the last time your hit got the external cladding painted??

I’ve was a cadet at my unit from 2003 and it hasn’t been painted since then as far as I know, despite around a dozen works requests from me since starting as a staff member in 2011.

Um. It’s not an excuse. There is no money - units have temporarily shut because of dangerous faults.

sorry it is an excuse in this case!

the second part to the question shows that the something has been going wrong. The contract between Cranwell and the RFCA states that each Spooner hut should have the exterior painted every 5 years but MUST not exceed 7years. The RFCAs are given a separate pot of cash for this works as it is a major requirement for the maintenance of Spooner huts to keep them waterproof and the buildings intact. Further more in the event of damage to the external fabric of the spooner hut any RFCA should bring this to the attention of Cranwell immediately and additional funds shall be issued to repair them.

this information was what I got from Cranwell last year and again confirmed with them in the last few months as I am having the same issues with my sqns spooner hut.

I can’t remember a year when RFCA ever say they have money, after about June and paid for their and the senior ATC and ACF holidays. We have been told that ALL new builds are suspended to build accommodation for gliding schools and the money for maintenance isn’t there either Well they have to ensure tea, coffee and biscuits costs are covered. Which to be honest they could just set up as auto send email for the same date every year.

One of the problems I’ve seen with RFCA is they have no financial acumen at all. The contractors charge silly money for jobs and do half-baked (not to upset AUP!!) work that if you had them round to do your house you’d be after your money back and writing to trading standards. I would imagine with a few board feet of timber you could do a better job than them. I know we shouldn’t do it but you know what sometimes it’s better to do and take the rap on the knuckles, than ask. What’s the worse thing that could happen to you? Alternatively write to HQAC and advise that the squadron will be closed with immediate effect, until they get their finger out.

We recently had an inspection and the discussion of self help came up. They won’t allow anything electrical or mechanical (whatever that would be) but you can apply to do it yourself. If you have a parent who is a professional and would do it for free then I would apply. The other option would be to do it under what I would call the 11th Commandment… “don’t get caught”, given the severity of the problem I would be saying it needed an emergency repair to avoid substantial costs later.

Self help has been a grey area for ages. I was told we can replace light bulbs and neon strips.

As I said say you’re going to close until it gets done or do it and be damned. They’d know you’ve done it yourself as the quality would be better than the contractors.

The local surveyor and Regional H&S advisor is coming up on Monday and they have stated that I may indeed have to close, another problem is broken/ missing floor tiles and it turns out they probably contain asbestos… :frowning:

I’ve covered the offending areas so hopefully it’ll be OK :slight_smile:

1 Like

What RFCA area are you?

You will be lucky enough to get anything from RFCA, especially at this time of year.

I was lucky enough to get a new Squadron. In less than 2 years I have a leaky roof due to how the building has been built. I’ve been told to expect leaks every time it rains from RFCA as there is not enough funding.

When you say new squadron do you mean a brand new shiny sqn building built for your sqn/ cadets or an existing refurbished building???

Brand new shiny building! Built for us…

The old spooner hut has now gone!

Your building has a warranty for a minimum of 5 years (MOD actually try and get 10years in the contracts), so its covered under that and its the builder who pays.

discuss very firmly with your WExo and tell them to put pressure on the RFCA to have the builders return to fix it.

Is it built or is it a pre-fab?

It’s a bad building design - flat roof.

It’s already gone to WExO, he was going to look into the warranty.

If not fixed it will cost a fortune, it will need restructuring.

I get the joys of playing chase! Constantly… Anyone would think we have all the time in the world.

Flat roof!! It must be to keep it cheap and now the price will be paid. Do you know a building surveyor? If so get them to come in, write a report and send that to everyone.

If it’s leaking there will be all sorts of problems, damp, mould and general rot which if they don’t sort it out will make the building unusable in a pretty short time. Especially given the sorts of materials they would have used in the construction and interior. Stick all the heaters on over Christmas and see what they think of the leccy bill.

3 Likes

Nope, there is no money in the pot whatsoever.
I have a classroom that turns into a swimming pool whenever it rains, as a result the room had various fungi growing on the carpet, RFCA solved the issue by pulling up the carpet, fungi can’t grow on concrete. We’ve shut the door to the room and don’t go near it - this has been ongoing for almost a year and we’re no further forward. There is a very long list of things outstanding and the money card gets played at every turn.

There needs to be an urgent review of the estate management. In particular the ability of WExo’s and RFCAs to perform the duties they are meant to do regarding the estates.

Yes money is limited and getting cut back. However the ability to prioritise allocation of money needs reviewed too.
I know in our wing 4sqns that have just had the inside painted to freshen them up yet others have broken toilets, windows and doors. I think we all know where the money should go first but it doesn’t seem too. I also know of instances where a contractor carried out work but it wasn’t checked properly and within a year another contractor has had to be sent to repair and both contractors were paid for the works.