BTEC's

Hi All,

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with registering cadets in BTEC Awards? I have a couple interested but I’m unsure how to get them involved or how to help facilitate it at a squadron level. Any help is much appreciated!

They can register themselves using the link below.

https://cvqo.org/2020-2021-btec-level-2-academic-year/

I’d recommend you contact your regional manager for a full brief and support details cam be found on the CVQO website

2 Likes

I’ll echo Alex - get in touch with CVQO. Their area managers are usually a good person to have in your contacts.

2 Likes

@signalcell if you drop me a private message I’d be happy to give you a brief outline of what you need to do etc.

1 Like

That would be great if you could! Thank you!

Can you share here so we can all learn :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries!

So there are several elements to BTEC, and I’ll start from the top, so sorry if you know any of this already.

There is the ATC administered Level 2 in Aviation Studies, this is awarded upon completion of master cadet - there is a spreadsheet where you enter the Ultilearn exam pass dates and send this off to a specified wing contact. For me this is our Wing E1 or E2 - magically certificates arrive in the post!

Then there is the CVQO options.

For 16+ you have to register them with CVQO first. New registrations take place in September, so now is the perfect time to be getting everything in order. If you have a few 17 year olds that missed out last year there is a 2 year window for them to do the awards, so you can register them this year and get them sorted. Once they hit 18+ they are too late.

Registration is simple; CVQO send you a form and you simply return it, cadets are then issued a VQ number, and this can also be seen on their SMS profile.

Once registered there are two BTEC Level 2 options; the most popular Teamwork and Personal Development and one for Music for those that play an instrument.

The TWPD BTEC is the most common.

You’ll be provided by your CVQO team 2 workbooks - completion of the entire workbook 1 is needed and this awards the cadet a diploma. There are slideshows given and a learner guide… so you just prep as you would for any other lesson, deliver the training using the provided powerpoint and reference the learner guide too.

Once this is completed (usually takes 1 or 2 parade nights) then Workbook 1 can be sent to CVQO for assessment and if successful a diploma is awarded.

To top the diploma up to the full BTEC Level 2 there is a second workbook. This can be started on straight away, you don’t need to wait for the results of workbook 1.

In workbook 2, provided your cadets are leading or above, and have been on some sort of camp or expedition, you only have to complete a few units. On our squadron we do units 4, 5 and 9. These are relatively short and focus on things cadets have covered before, so all feels familiar. Each unit takes about a night to complete. Again, you are provided workbooks, learner guides and powerpoints.

On completion of the workbook you send to CVQO.

If any questions come back as a fail, you will be notified and the cadet has to just redo the questions that need more attention on a resubmit.

Provided all is well, a BTEC Level 2 turns up in the post!

If I were you, I would make contact with your wing BTEC officer, and see if they can get you introduced to the local CVQO team. They are always very helpful and will come down and help you on registration night; so you know what to do next time.

They will also come to your squadron and teach a lesson, so you can see the style of delivery. They are super helpful. At the moment they are running lessons over Teams, or they are in my area, and so this shows you again how to run the lessons virtually.

To become your squadrons VQ officer CVQO require you to first register yourself with them and once this is done complete an online E-Learning responsible for information course. This takes about 30 minutes and is very straightforward.

The lessons aren’t anything to worry about, I would say it is the same level of understanding required for teaching something like Leading Cadet lessons. So at 16 your cadets should have no issue.

The workbooks come in both printed or online versions. One thing I will be implementing across our sector is the online workbooks only from this September. We have had issues before with things getting lost in the post - and although not a lot of work to redo, it is demoralising for a cadet to have to do it again. So by having online copies the cadet can have a copy, I have a copy and if it gets lost, it can easily and quickly be sent again with no bother.

The other thing CVQO/BTEC offer is the ILM courses. Level 1 has to be self funded, so lots of squadrons don’t bother. But at wing level they should be offering level 2. The cost is usually about £20. It is a great course and I would recommend it. This is for cadets aged 14 and 6 months through to 16 - but again registration has to be done as of a certain date, so if you don’t keep a keen eye out cadets do easily slip the net.

If you have any questions or if there is anything else I can help with just let me know!

4 Likes

Sorry to bump this up - but for those interested today’s Training Tuesday is a cadet how to on the CVQO BTEC Level 2 in TWPD - @signalcell it just nicely lays out what has been mentioned in the post.

1 Like

Another Bump… in May I sent off my most recent BTEC registration form to;

btecregistrations@rafac.mod.gov.uk

But their names aren’t reflected in the most recent update, would you recommend re-emailing the aforementioned email address and/or direct/cc’d to Wg Cdr Hotston?