BTEC in Aviation

Lots of these issues stem from HQAC, but regarding the last point it might be worth contacting your cadets squadron and notifying them of the issue. If you have experienced this, I’m sure other perants/carers have too. Just remember whilst you do that we are all volunteers (on squadrons at least). The organisation isn’t perfect but if we are to develop we need to be the change, and communicating areas that need the improvement is a vital part of that

2 Likes

So, the work the cadet is doing will go towards their Master, but currently NOT a BTEC?

I have actually pointed the squadron to the previous thread on here about it & the above is their response, so just checking I’ve understood your comments.

Thanks

Yep, the BTEC was a side effect of the master air cadet

1 Like

Correct.

Their work will be recognised, but internally only.

This hasn’t been our experience at all, but appreciate that each squadron is different. The staff (volunteers) are dedicated & put on great activities for the cadets. The only challenge we’ve had is understanding the learning /qualifications available.

1 Like

Maybe someone could put together a list for the drive of all the external qualifications available? (honestly not sure how to). To start off here’s the ones from the top of my head:

BTEC Level 2 in Aviation Studies - for completing MAC, phased out
BTEC Level 2 in Aerospace Studies - a replacement for the Aviation Studies BTEC, currently not been introduced
BTEC Level 2 in Teamworking and Personal Development in the Community - the CVQO flagship BTEC
ILM Level 2 for Young Leaders - a CVQO led in person leadership course
ILM Level 2 in Effective Teamworking Skills - an ILM course that may be taught by CFAV through CVQO
ILM Level 3 in Leadership and Management - an ILM course that may be taught by CFAV through CVQO
Entry Level Award in Health and Safety - a basic health and safety course for cadets
Level 2 in Space Studies - for completing the silver space badge, currently not introduced
Civilian amateur radio licence - achievable through a module of silver radio
DofE awards
SJA qualifications (EFA, YFA, AFA)

2 Likes

there are a load of AT qualifications too that are achievable through the RAFAC in trekking/camping, climbing and watersports i sure are open to Cadets (O18s) and CFAV alike

2 Likes

All AT Quals are open to Staff Cadets and some such as LLA and CWI you can do the training course when you are 17.

We’ve got the Wiki threads, think you can just create new threads or exit an existing one?

2 Likes

I was going to include them but there’s so many… There’s an ACATI dedicated to that right? Might have a look when I get to a computer

Are these SJA qualifications backed by any accreditation or are they an in house award using SJA materials?

Im pretty sure theyre delivered on behalf of SJA and accredited by SJA. I know of people who use them at their work places to be qualified as first aiders, although these days we don’t issue SJA certificates (I believe? My latest AFA was a RAFAC certificate) so something may have changed

I’ve started collating a list in the Wiki, everyone should be able to edit the post to help add info.

It is still a RAFAC Certificate. It says:

This is to certify that has successfully completed a St John Ambulance Activity First Aid Course at . The course was delivered by the RAF Air Cadets in association with St John Ambulance. It then gives a certificate number with 3 years validity.

It also details what has been covered on the course.

It has the SJA Badge on it but doesn’t have any Level1, 2 etc associated with it.

They’re not Ofqual regulated and aren’t leveled in that way. Pretty sure no SJA courses are (there’s every possibility that I’m wong with that blanket statement though, that’s just as far as I’m aware)

Yes I renewed my AFA in October 2022 and got a RAFAC certificate, but the last renewal I had was in 2019 and I got a SJA certificate, so I’m not sure if we’ve removed accreditation in that time or just don’t want to spend money on certificates. All the YFA and EFA courses I’ve ran since COVID have been given RAFAC certificates

Thanks all,

I think a list of qualification that cadets can strive for, would be really useful.

From a selfish point of view, my eagerness for my cadet to get their BTEC is because it has external value and would support an application to go onto do further eduction. While the other qualifications are all useful & personally rewarding, the BTEC is the only one that would be looked at as having value if applying to do A-levels or indeed a higher level BTEC at college.
My cadet’s special interest is planes and so this was also the one they were interested in doing. They have actively avoided doing any leadership roles/quals.
They will continue to do their Master Cadet stuff & I might neglect to mention to them that there isn’t a qualification at the end of the rainbow! I’ll keep my fingers crossed not only that something does get sorted but that they do ok in the their GCSEs!

2 Likes

I would suggest they look to get involved in these. Although you’re looking at education opportunities for now, leadership and teamwork stuff is viewed positively in the world of work, plus the benefits of personal development through that journey.

Even if it’s just the PTS on the personal development side and having something to talk about, but the BTEC/ILM(or alternative) etc is a boost for both and is recognisable to employers.

I don’t want to drag the topic off too far, but let me know if you want any info on the leadership stuff.

4 Likes

As a cadet I got quite a few of the external courses. Lowland Leader with the what was Expedition Skills Module, the ILM Level 3, the CVQO BTEC and the BTEC in aviation studies + a few others I can’t remember off the top of my head. The one that really benefitted me was the ILM course, aviation studies didn’t affect anything but my ILM Level 3 was the thing that made me stand out to get onto an apprenticeship and start my career. That I did the learning as a part of ACLC was even better for me as it was much more practical!

3 Likes

Ahhh thats a shame, completed mine in September. Is what it is I suppose.

Thanks for this Giminion.

I’ve not looked at this much tbh. But please to point me in the right direction. Anything that would help from an employability point of view has value to me!

We’re currently trying to sort out an expedition, so they can finished their Bronze DofE. I’ve chosen not to tell them that the BTEC they are still being told the are completing at squadron doesn’t exist. I’m just praying that the new one comes online in the next year so what they are doing has some value.