Bronze Cyber Course info

Indeed but that really opens up the cadets eyes to what you can find out about someone!

A lot of staff have LinkedIn and use an Air Cadet picture for their image.

Just to resurrect a thread, are there any prerequisites for doing Bronze Cyber? (Do they have to have the Blue Comms? Do they have to be a certain Classification? Etc). I know this is in the ACTO but due to the Sharepoint Pause it may be a while before I can look it up myself.

I only have a copy of ACTO71 - which may or may not have been updated in the last 18 months…

Exact phrase is “No previous experience is required”. States “wing level where competent staff are available”.

AFAIK cyber is held separate to comms. I’m involved with radio, but not cyber, so by no means an authority.

14 or older and Leading. They should have covered the Blue cyber awareness video as part of their First Class trg

2 Likes

To expand on WestlandScout’s comment the Blue cyber awareness video is part of the Basic Radio Operator (Blue Radio Badge) course.

At the present time there is no Blue Cyber Badge syllabus or course.

(Note that the Bronze Cyber Course will be changing in the next few months.)

1 Like

Indeed

We do the (Blue) Cyber Awareness video as part of initial training.
That way it is done, and gets them thinking about it if nothing else.

I stand helpfully corrected.

All, bronze cyber is undergoing a MAJOR overhaul (after a ministerial statement).

All current Bronze instructors/assessors will lose their instructor status. New Trainers of Trainers will be attending courses in the next month in order to get new assessors on the ground.

Therefore soon the current bronze course will be superseded in the very near future. The good news is that the new course is externally accredited and will be valuable to our cadets!

Cadet courses planned in the meantime can continue. TtT shouldn’t as the time will be wasted.

1 Like

i will argue that the existing course has been valuable to our Cadets but accept with accreditation the new course will have an added value of being part of a Nationally recognised system and structure

I am eager to see the syllabus of the re-built bronze (and other levels) as early as possible. I believe that “Cyber” is not structured in the best way possible and there is significant scope for improvement. I fear that governmental tinkering is unlikely to improve the situation.

Good news, indeed. Out of interest, would this mean that the training the trainers get, to deliver the course, would be accredited as well, or is that too much to ask?

I’ll let you know when I’m back from the course! :smiley:

I concur. The new bronze will be aligned to the Cyber First qualifications

Time for a bit of a bump and a slight expansion of the Topic to both Bronze and Silver Cyber.

So I’ve just read the updated ACTO71 and my understanding is that Bronze is now the NCSC CyberFirst Adventurer Course and to deliver this Staff need to go to QA.com for training. But until the changeover is complete people who could teach the old course can continue to do so. (with no specified end date for this).

The bit that is a suprise (a pleasant one) is that any Cadets who has a Bronze Badge can do all of their Silver Training online in their own time, they just have to do a Compulsory Online Course and 1 of 3 optional online courses(of which only 1 is currently available) and then we just upload the results onto a SharePoint SubSite who then send us all the Badges/Certificates. (No involvement of Wing or Region at all). It also says that the rules to sign up are 16 but that Cadets younger can do it as long as their parents create the accounts for them.

Am I reading this right as it seems too good to be true! @sss you appear to be our resident expert?

1 Like

i can’t comment on the Silver but from what I have heard from our WRCO this (above) is correct.

the Govt are keen for kids to be “cyber security conscious” and so a national course has been designed. it is above the Bronze (entry) course we have and so will eventually replace it - arguably raising questions if the Bronze Cyber will mean anything as ANYONE can do it (ie not just RAFAC but Scouts, St Johns, Fire Cadets etc etc)

There was a block on teaching new instructors on Cyber (we had a course canx) as there is no point qualifying instructors on something which is defunct - or soon to be.
when this occurs no one seems to know but there is going to be/is already a entry level nationally recognised cyber security course which will be available for all to complete

To be fair the same can be said of things like Heart Start, YFA or DofE.

Our Wing don’t seem to have gotten onto the Cyber stuff yet, focusing all their attention on Radio still at the moment.

1 Like

very true

i was trying to indicating that this otherwise RAFAC only syllabus is now becoming national (like the other schemes you have mentioned) and open to all

the difference here being Cyber was a RAFAC topic first…rather than an adopted national scheme

1 Like

There has been what we now seem to call cyber being done in schools for a long time and from young ages.
So I’m not convinced it’s an Air Cadet thing first, school kids have had badges.
I find it bizarre that it doomed to be repeated ad infinitum in ‘hobby’ groups like us and others.
Two of our local schools have done heartstart as part of assemblies.

We might like to think we are first and doing it better in the conceited way Air Cadet people like to think.

It’s very VERY easy , and very boring , you have to do a hack at the end that you just copy and paste into google and get a password

1 Like