Bronze Crest Drone Flying Award

I believe that the ban includes all MOD property and RFCA owned estate. It is because of the risk of some far eastern manufactured drones that have built in recording facilities, connecting to WiFi and a GPS location, sending the data directly to intelligence services in the far east. Genius bit of intelligence gathering, I am reluctant to admit.

Step outside the RFCA estate, operate the drone, and you’re in the clear.

Well it’s not like our Squadrons are all on google earth and advertise where we are anyway…

Another well meaning, but badly implemented security rule stops more Air Cadet activities…

Who would have thought it?

I wonder if there is a drone software for flight sims, or would that be banned too?

Once again being tied to the RAF shoots us in the foot, I suppose we can just use the Scouts compound next door!

There is. I think you need a Windows XP box with serial connections for the drone type controller. There was one at RIAT in the STEM tent.

ACTO75 RE-ISSUED.

Several caveats such as insurance, etc.

Is it? Cant find it on sharepoint. Or rather latest version on sharepoint is version 6 issued 14th Jan.
Still has ban in place.

V7.0, complete revision, dated 06 Jun, was sent out by our Wg. PM official email address & I’ll ping across a copy.

Handy for prep I suppose, but it doesn’t exist until it appears in Key Documents.

Whatever happened to that ban on flying any drone on MOD/RFCA property?

1 Like

“Recreational use of SUA in the DE (Defence Estate = entire MoD estate including the volunteer estate) is permitted if the risk has been assessed and the appropriate control measures are in place. SUA Operations must be conducted in accordance with current Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations.”

And that is quoted from where so we can check it ourselves?

ACTO75 v7.0!!!

And…
13.​ RAFAC units seeking approval for recreational usage of SUA on the DE must have the support of a MoD sponsor. Examples of acceptable sponsors would be permanent RAFAC region or wing staff or regular service personnel. The appointed sponsor will be required to submit an Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Recreational Use Approvals Form ([Annex B to 2018DIN02-015] on behalf of the RAFAC unit, to the appropriate MoD unit outlining the proposed SUA operation.

PM inbound

Would a local sponsor (we have other units on site with permanent staff) be acceptable - after all it is their site (and their RAs) and our WHQ isn’t exactly local.
I’m considering attaching anything we fly to a guide wire anyway so we don’t lose the darned thing

Any suggestions for insurance, the work insurance colleagues have for drones is quite expensive (and we’d be using cheapo units, not pro models)

Maybe via affiliate membership with RAF Modelling Aircraft Association?

Incidentally, RAFMAA link in the revised ACTO is incorrect, correction passed via our Wg Av O.

Try social media groups - such as Drone Flyers UK on Facebook?

Bmfa.
British model flying association.

Dirt cheap and recognised by rafac.

Which has finally shown up on SharePoint.

1 Like