Blue Leadership

Only putting blue planks on white blocks, or an item can only be passed in one direction - that kind of thing.

OASC flashbacks!

2 Likes

Pet Peeve… Time is never a limitation! It should always be a resource.

During my JMLC practicals, one task I was over by 10 minutes. Instructor asked why I didn’t stop, my response was job wasn’t finished. Not rushing and compromising safety to get the job done.

Funnily enough, I passed that exercise.

1 Like

Basically SMEACEAC in different (more complicate) words.

First EAC is based around limitations, second is planning.

2 Likes

We’ve been taught on my promotion courses that SMRLAC is the initial brief. You then give your team a couple of minutes to think of ideas for themselves, come back, discuss, then go through PDACE to sort your way forward out.

3 Likes

There are always multiple ways of briefing (you can look at non military like SBAR, JESIP, IIMARCH and all sorts, or even the format of battle procedures, QBOs and the like to assess the formatting and selection of information), the thing with SMEAC is it fits well enough for the cadets to use in most circumstances and is an simple.

RLAC is still EAC at its core, same information.

Our briefing model only becomes a problem when later training materials give a very rigid delivery of PICSIE which assumes the leader is implementing a plan that they already have devised.

2 Likes

I agree with that PICSIE rigidity.

PDACE is pretty much the same, and it’s taught religiously. Can’t make any changes on the fly without doing another PDACE. It’s stuck to on the course to the point it can hamper operational effectiveness.

2 Likes

Not really. Resources and limitations are facts that the briefer is sharing with the rest of the team: execution is something else entirely (and deciding it ahead of briefing everyone else and sharing ideas takes you down a rather rigid path towards probable failure).