Blue leadership vs leading cadet?

Hello all, I’m just here to ask what’s the difference between blue leadership and leading cadet qualifications for RAFAC? I’ve been enrolled for some courses that are under leading cadet but need to do blue leadership, are these the same things? Does blue leadership involve actual course content? I’m pretty confused as to what my OC has signed us up for

Good Evening @Bigman,

Blue Leadership is a standalone practical award which forms part of the progressive training syllabus (blue-bronze-silver-gold) in this case covering the topic of leadership. You will cover basic theory and complete a number of assessed practicals using this theory.

Often you will need to complete the blue level award before progressing onto further levels.

Leading cadet is a theoretical classification award which is subject to completion of the 3 leading cadet theory syllabus topics.

• Airmanship
  • Principals of Flight
  • Basic Nav

Eventually (maybe), this can be credited towards a BTEC in Aerospace Studies - pending a current review of the syllabus

3 Likes

Have you been told you need Blue Leadership to be considered for promotion? That would usually be a local policy but I can see that it could be useful. You’d probably be more confident, too.

1 Like

You are very right, but just adding. Blue Leadership is two assessments, where you need to get minimum 30 points and no ‘1’ points in a section in each. It was a long time ago now haha

Yes, the minimum for promotion is leading cadet and blue leadership, and promotions are pretty soon. Leading cadet i can do as I have the exams, however how could I get my sqn to assess me for blue leadership?

What’s the requirement for blue leadership?

Been a while since I delivered it, but it used to be a PowerPoint and then command tasks demonstrating the use of SMEAC

6 months enrolled, lesson, and two passing assessed tasks with a focus on SMEAC and some basic team and task management aspects such as monitoring the time available, giving praise, and not letting someone else take control.

2 Likes

Was 6 month enrolled always part of it? I thought the whole point of the blue badges upon introduction was that they be completed alongside first class?

Surely you mean SMRLACPDACE?

I’m sure that has lapdance in there. Dyslexia strikes again

2 Likes

No. They struggle enough as it is!

Surely “To provide training which will be useful in both the services …” means teaching something that will be used in JMLC, DE SNCO course, MIOT, etc: rather than something their forebears used to be taught?

We’re talking about (typically) 12-14 year olds, many of whom have never been part of a team in this way, let alone had to do much speaking publicly or authoritatively.

The regulars will teach what they want at the required level of additional complexity with a different demographic that has already had some level of training and molding.

You missed out the “civilian” part of what you quoted, so it could equally be argued that we should be teaching SBAR, JESIP, or a whole manner of other procedures and structures.

Being able to follow and implement a briefing process and display the most basic of leadership skills is all we ask and all that’s needed. Those are the useful skills that are then able to be developed and branch out into other formats.

We don’t teach change lever drills as part of NSPs either and how many personnel get their hands on a bolt action rifle on a regular basis?

With leadership, as in many areas, there are differences in what is expected, because there are differences in what is achievable, audience-suitable, available, or required.

3 Likes

Quite right!

7 Questions it is!

:joy:

1 Like

We are, however, the Royal Air Force Air Cadets, not whatever organization uses SBAR and/or JESIP.

And you ignored the point made.

Why is it that certain people think the leadership taught in the RAF 20+ years ago is just perfect for cadets, but everything that has replaced it is completely unsuitable? Could it be resistance to change?

2 Likes