Bivvying Ban

Who would qualify HQAC staff on common sense tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m available…

I see there has been some updates in the Fieldcraft folder in Sharepoint

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/ACO Document Library/Activities/Fieldcraft/20140729-Interim Procedures Bivvy Document.doc

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/ACO Document Library/Activities/Fieldcraft/The 2 man shelter.doc

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/ACO Document Library/Activities/Fieldcraft/Fieldcraft Generic RA.doc

I can’t help but notice that Bungee’s continue to be referenced in the training document… but not the risk assessment (despite Donald’s bleating’s about the significant risk factor they present - and there being a perfectly good paracord based alternative method).

Sigh. Another one to flag up the CoC.

And when will that RA be broken down so it’s a lesson by lesson approach to the RA - rather than just shoehorning every variation into one RA?

[quote=“Batfink” post=20646]I can’t help but notice that Bungee’s continue to be referenced in the training document… but not the risk assessment (despite Donald’s bleating’s about the significant risk factor they present - and there being a perfectly good paracord based alternative method).

Sigh. Another one to flag up the CoC.

And when will that RA be broken down so it’s a lesson by lesson approach to the RA - rather than just shoehorning every variation into one RA?[/quote]

If you secure a bouncee castle to the floor with bungee cords does Donald explode?

The first thing I noticed is that, with the exception of wooded area method 1, the written explanations of the various construction methods do not match their relevant diagrams.

Is it really too much to expect whoever writes these manuals to actually check such basic things!?

I can count on one hand the number of accidents I have witnessed involving bungees. In fact, I could still do it if both my hands were cut off in a freak tree surgery accident.

A risk? Yes they can be, but I wouldn’t call it “significant”.

No, I think BF is aware of that but his Donaldness seems to think they’re one of the most dangerous things we use.

I think he must have known my grandmother - she used to think that everything would ‘have my eye out’ as well.

To be fair, I have seen BF hit himself in the testes with one. I laughed.

Don’t say that, it’ll be the feature in the next exciting installment from our illustrious H&S head, be included in the all the GRAs and we’ll need to wear safety goggles for everything.

I can count on one hand the number of accidents I have witnessed involving bungees. In fact, I could still do it if both my hands were cut off in a freak tree surgery accident.

A risk? Yes they can be, but I wouldn’t call it “significant”.[/quote]

I think the last time I used bungee on a bivvy/basha/poncho was in 2007. Paracord does just as well. Pretied and with overhand knots tied at 3 inch intervals to form a crude “notch” method or just a round turn and 2 half hitches, and act as loops for tent pegs always good to carry some bungees though just in case, but not essential. I will try and get a picture of my old set up. What is much overlooked essential bit of kit, are bivvi poles. extendable. When you just cant find a tree or in an area with no trees!

I even toyed with cutting the elastic on the roof of my hennessy just because they seemed a bit naff, paracord would have been a lot better.

It’s not unusual.

Are you still doing BELA?

Make a sentence out of the following words : written, Not, the, worth, on, paper, it’s.

Anyone with normal adult level of common sense and basic nav skills does not need BELA

Bivvying up? Bashas? Paracord? Bungees?
Sounds like something a military themed organisation might do. Which explains why the ACO Hogwarts don’t like or understand it.

I must have some sort of cadet forces PTSD induced amnesia because I have no recollection after 32 years of cadetting ever seeing a death or injury caused by bashas, bivvies or bungees*. Not even a case of mild hypothermia, because we always had a cold weather plan should the temp drop in winter/spring/autumn FTXs (Troop shelters, blankets, build a fire etc;)

[size=2]*Hateful things. 6x 2.5m of double knotted paracord attached permanently to corner and middle loops and a packet of 99p glow in dark tent pegs. Job jobbed.[/size]

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=21313]What is much overlooked essential bit of kit, are bivvi poles. extendable. When you just cant find a tree or in an area with no trees! [/quote]Never needed the 2 bivvy poles I bought and don’t use them anymore, as they were no better at the job than a stick found lying around. Agree that double knotted paracord is best, and is pretty much the SOP in the field Army now. It’s easy to put up at dark o’clock and easy to take down in a hurry.

Anyway you can crudely basha up without trees or poles against a wall or hedge, or use your bergen, stood up at one end and tack down the other end. (Sometimes used as an emergency shelter for a casualty.)

[quote=“bucketofinstantsunshine” post=21711][quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=21313]What is much overlooked essential bit of kit, are bivvi poles. extendable. When you just cant find a tree or in an area with no trees! [/quote]Never needed the 2 bivvy poles I bought and don’t use them anymore, as they were no better at the job than a stick found lying around. Agree that double knotted paracord is best, and is pretty much the SOP in the field Army now. It’s easy to put up at dark o’clock and easy to take down in a hurry.

Anyway you can crudely basha up without trees or poles against a wall or hedge, or use your bergen, stood up at one end and tack down the other end. (Sometimes used as an emergency shelter for a casualty.)[/quote]

All good! I do disagree with the bivvy poles, a good bivvy pole beats a stick anyday and minimises ground sign, (aye in a harbour sounds a bit silly and anal)
Having bivvied up in several places where sticks were sparce or a not even in a forest I prefer to have them and not need them then need them and not have them.
while the emergancy shelter is handy and I have used it before, its crap in bad weather!

The knotted.cord was passed onto me by a cpl in basic and commented on it coming from the jungle. Came in handy when I was there, until I got myself a hennesy.

Yeah, finding the perfect stick isn’t always easy - especially if you harbour up in the dark!

[quote=“MattB” post=21726]Yeah, finding the perfect stick isn’t always easy - especially if you harbour up in the dark![/quote]Is there any other time you harbour up, except in the dark? (even though the Red Book JSP535 tells us we must not!)

One thing I noticed about knotty para cord: It doesnt sag when wet like bungees can do. Another reason why it’s superior to bungees.

Surely you harbour up when you stop?

You may not put shelters up until dark, but there’s nothing stopping you finding your twig before dark and then keeping it until it’s needed.