Bisley - Artists Rifle Clubhouse

For those who may have entered through the (very unique) portals, please consider any financial assistance

I don’t have any skin in this game, being neither a member of the NRA or the Artists Rifles. It is best to bear in mind that the present CEO of the NRA was appointed with a remit to put the association on a firm financial footing put in place a structure that will secure the future of both the association and Bisley Camp. Regardless of what you think of his methods, he is well on the way to fulfilling his brief. He has upset a lot of people and quite a few sacred cows have been slaughtered as he dragged quite a few institutions forward about 100 years. The latest NRA Council Meeting minutes reflect this, but so far no one has come up with any viable alternatives to what he is doing.

I feel that the Artists Rifles are being a bit “economical with the actualite’” as well. As far as I know there are no plans to tear the building down, but it is intended that the clubhouse and others like it contribute to the financial solvency of the site as a whole. The historical value will not be lost but the users will have to pay more for the privilege. The are asking for £85k to fund litigation, which of course will be successful? Having myself supported a group action in the past and more recently read a couple of counsel’s opinions on other matters the one thing I am certain of is that nothing is certain.

I would not attempt to dissuade anyone from donating, but would urge them to ensure that they fully understand the ramifications of this issue. Where one goes, others follow.

Exmpa

It is a topic that has been bubbling along (with other club houses similarly affected) for some time.

The previous NRA Chairman had a letter published in the Times today, where he stressed that a 2013 agreement was seen as being in effect to ensure that leases / rents were not increased in a way that would penalise the club(s) concerned, in that such clubs directly provide the basis of a good chunk of the NRA membership. The current position is that “comparable rents” are being considered - but the club buildings cannot in reality be compared with commercial outlets, as there is no real “comparable” situation; had it been a row of shops in say Guildford, then yes, a much easier calculation.

There were concerns raised at the NRA General Council Meeting last year.

Back at the 2007 AGM, it was very clear that clubs would benefit from rents that would not be prohibitive / penalising::

Chairman
Stated the objective of the new policy was to be open about how leases and rents were handled. In
relation to clubs they have and will continue to be treated differently to individual lets to a private
tenant, because it is an objective of the Association to support and promote shooting. Supporting
clubs was a way of achieving this. Commenting on the break clause in leases it was made clear
that this requirement in a lease had been long-standing and was not new. He stated that in the
unlikely event that this clause was ever instituted clubs and individuals would be compensated.

Even if it could be argued that such extortionate rent increases are commercially “legal,” then it is not appropriate to hit clubs with a 500% increase in one go. They have limited options to raise funds, such as membership / accommodation fees or charges for food / drink. Shooting at Bisley already is an expensive sport; depending on personal circumstances / location, a typical weekend could set a firer back £200-£300 (travel costs, accommodation - caravan rent or whatever - range / ammunition, food / drink. The potential revenue that could be raised by the NRA (already offset by their large legal fees) would seem to be comparatively small when looking at the quite dire effect that excessive lease / rent charges could have for some clubs.

NRA income from leases?

The NRA have now released a statement. It might appear that either or both parties are being “economical with the actualite’”.

I would want to have considerably more information about the proposed litigation before I donated any of my hard earned pennies.

Love him or loathe him, Mercer is doing the job he was appointed to do.

Exmpa

From previous (lengthy) conversations with other club committee members (who of course are unpaid for their considerable efforts), it would seem to me that the NRA has really taken a harsh, unswerving stance. Even IF within the legal parameters, it is very unfair to hike a rent by such a large increase, without (a) checking if the club can afford it & (b) considering a staged increase over XX years in order for the club to plan their strategy for coping with the increase.

The “comparable” rent argument doesn’t hold water, & coupled with this, should increased rents result in a decrease in club membership, there there no real alternatives to go to in order to shoot under the same circumstances. Yes, a military range can be hired for a day at a weekend (if not bumped off), but as civilians, the chances of have accommodation there are zero.

The NRA has a monopoly over civilian full-bore shooting & irrespective of infrastructure changes as Bisley, this issue could have significant implications for membership.

Mike,

I see some of the points you are making but would suggest that the way to achieve your aims is not to try and take on the NRA by proxy through the courts. If there is a will to change its course or modify its objectives then this has to be done by working within its structure and rules.

It is clear that the current policy is to sweat the assets because that is really the only way the association can generate income. If as reported, the Artists current ground rent is £3k/yr (£250/month) then that is ridiculous. You would be hard pushed to find a single fronted lock up workshop on a trading estate for that sum. They have been living on borrowed time.

If you want to see what the future holds, if the clubs don’t quickly adapt, then take a look at what has happened in the workingmens club sector over the last 25 years. They have steadily disappeared because they couldn’t or wouldn’t change to meet changing conditions. Look too at the number of British Legion and RAFA clubs that have closed. The Bisley clubs may not like being compared with them but that is the reality.

The NRA sees the future in direct membership and the clubs probably don’t feature strongly in its business plan. Come to that, I’m not too sure that the county association’s do either. Unless that is they find their voice and regain their proper function.

There is of course the little residual problem in that whatever is decided you have to ensure that there is sufficient income to maintain and develop the Bisley estate, for without that there is very little indeed.

As I said at the start, I have no skin on the game. However I do think that strong financially secure governing bodies are a necessity to ensure the continuation of shooting sport. The world out there is changing rapidly, prone shooting and 50m pistol are gone from the Olympic program and I can see the CWG following suit. The next CWG is highly likely to be the last for fullbore so whither the NRA at that point? Answers on a post card, a very big one!

Exmpa