Best Wing Social Media

I’ve ‘volunteered’ to look at our wing’s social media in to something better than it is now and using the festive stand down to do a bit of research. I’ve had a look at a few other wing’s (in C&E), but are there any that others think are real exemplars of good Facebook and Insta Wing accounts out there?

Sea cadets growth & development Facebook page. I’m more aware of what’s going on in their organisation than my own.

Use tweetdeck for Twitter - a lot of the police accounts can be good examples on what & how to post.

Unfortunately social media in the air cadets is self taught so if you can find someone who does it as a day job they will be able to give you pointers.

Only air cadet wing that kinda stand out our beds & Cambs and Warks & Brum wings but that might be due to who I follow.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Following on from this I added Insta to our socials (it was just Facebook). Any tips please? I saw a wing running a quiz the other day on Instagram- how to even start with something like that?

1 Like

Have a word with GM Wings social media team. Their Instagram page is by far, imo, the best in the org.

I think @YOLO is one of the team! They may be able to help you.

2 Likes

To add to that, we at HQ would always recommend GMW, especially the stuff they do on stories.

3 Likes

Thank you for the lovely comment - always happy to help

2 Likes

Nice to be recognised :blush: It’s easy when you’re sharing something you’re passionate about. Thank you

Best thing I can suggest is just play around with all the amazing features on the platform. It’s super easy once you know the different functions (particularly on Stories) to get your audience engaged.

Follow us @gmaircadets on Insta or FB and pinch some ideas if you want… but my one main tip is to plan your content and be consistent!

1 Like

Thank you. You must put loads of effort and time in to it everything is very polished :bowing_woman:

1 Like

Next step is to get every Wing Media Comms Officer to follow suit and we could have national coverage!!

Alternatively we will need to clone you @YOLO

1 Like

Would you consider running some teams workshops occasionally for people around the corps to join and learn some tips/tricks?

One thing I think we’re desperately missing from the Air Cadets is Adult Volunteer Peer to Peer development and mentoring. In the Scouts they run a weekend every year (Gilwell Reunion) during which workshops and talks are hosted on all manner of subjects and people attend as many as they want. As you can see from the link above, they ran virtually during covid (even with the traditional pub quiz) and most of the content is still available.

5 Likes