Best Tablet or Laptop options for Squadrons

Afternoon everyone.

Looking for some advice on the best Laptop/Tablet options that can be used by Cadets on Squadron for everything from Portal access to Ultilearn exams.

We use a couple of older laptops at present which were donated to the Squadron. This works fine for Instructors to use when running a class or activity but very much limits us when trying to get full classes through exams or updating the increasing numbers of digital workbooks.

For those who have something like this are there any schemes out there for bulk buying this kind of equipment?

1 Like

That is a very good question.

In a previous role I was a fan of the Android tablets from HP and of all places Tesco. But those are no longer made and those that know more about that platform than I do say Android has largely split into cheap no brand tablets with limited support and especially not receiving the latest versions and security updates, and Samsung (the top end of Android) and a few rivals who make excellent kit but are largely iPad price points.

If you can take a long view then Apple kit is actually very good value due to the OS support, security and quality of the included software.

Failing that Chromebooks are good value and some people say Kindle Fires are ok but I haven’t tried with our new format course marterials.

Yep. For what we need, Chromebooks work pretty well, and are normally cheaper than a ‘Windows laptop’ for the same spec.

Chromebooks work fine as long as you are happy to work online. If you want to download things like power points and courses like flying operations then you need a machine that will run Linux, MacOS or Windows.

Chromebook
Samsung android tablet

We use windows laptops with i7 processors for most things though.

You should be able to run the new format courses on a Chromebook, but I’m pretty sure @anon59391077 and his team are checking compatibility.

One plus of a Chromebook over a tablet is more ports to plug things in, so easier to work with content downloaded elsewhere.

Another point to consider is management of the kit, and associated data.

We are not a massive squadron and don’t have a massive amount of IT kit, but even with what we have regular Windows update downloads have become a burden and stress our bandwidth.

It might be worth speaking to a reseller that supports local businesses or schools, as they can advise on that side. They might be more expensive than buying direct up front but it pays for itself.

(IIRC Apple provided some free support and tools for bulk purchases via their stores, not sure if they still do)

I’d suggest looking into WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) which can be used to download updates once, then go around manually installing the same updates on each machine. This approach is more time intensive, but saves on bandwidth.

Might help, though we’ve upgraded the bandwidth fairly recently.

My more general point is someone needs to maintain the kit… and the more you have the more of a job it is

yep, it’s a pain.

Depending on requirements and as strange as it seems (well to me anyway at first) a Xbox is a option to consider, you can get access to Microsoft Edge browser for all the Bader/ Ultilearn etc. You can use all the Office 365 products and you can add Microsoft Flight Sim and plug in a joystick and convert it into a basic Flight Simulator. All in for well under £500 mark possibly even £400 if you are savvy. All you need is a monitor/Tv to plug it into and away you go

That’s an interesting take, never tried to run 365 apps on an xbox, unless you just mean the online web app equivalents through Edge?

You can have both the apps as in Word,Excel and PowerPoint etc then the web browser edge. If you YouTube how to do… On xbox there are loads of videos with guiides

1 Like

All the videos I’ve found mainly use office.com in the browser or windows365 VMs. There are some third-party office-based apps in the xbox store, but they mostly look amateurish, so haven’t bothered trying those.

office.com is probably good enough though, and of course, free!

2 Likes

Has anyone tried using the Kindle Fire HD series with Bader/Ultilearn/the new format training?