Best Stories from being OC

They often say that being a Sqn OC, whilst frustrating, is the best ‘job’ in the organisation…

So, for those of you who are or have taken command; what has been your best moment? The kind that would make BSM Williams spin in his grave :wink:

1 Like

I thought that this would be an easy answer, but most of the great times came when I was a Flying Officer…

One of the most rewarding moments as OC came when signing the back page of a CWO’ s 3822 on the eve of his 20th Birthday. He had joined shortly after I had taken over. I had a look through his record, and the amount of things he had been able to get involved in whilst on MY sqn was bteathtaking.

Being able to see the positive impact membership of the ATC had managed to have on someone made all of the hassle worthwhile (for the rest of the evening, anyway!).

2 Likes

There will a lot of ‘sand bag’ stories stuff.

Not wanting to seem like a copycat.

But for me the best things out being a CO are cadets (and relatives) shake your hand and on one occasion a kiss on the cheek thanking you for the good times they’ve had, things they’ve done and so on, without realising they’d actually done the things and you’ve only told them about them. There are the occasional nuggets where they say the ATC has been the single biggest positive thing in their life and helped them when times are dark being the sole friendly, accepting constant in their life, which don’t show on the stats or pages of a 3822. It’s these things that I feel outweigh all the badges and certificates as it has made a tangible difference and makes it shameful when people talk about closing sqns. Lose that thing in the community and these sort of youngsters could easily do something stupid. If I have only seen one thing in my life as staff, not just CO, is that the intangible aspects of being on a sqn, the friendships and comradeship, are worth more than every single ‘silver cup’ you can get that far too many put great store in.
I’ve bumped into a number of those who saw more value in being a cadet than badges etc, and they say all that they have job, family, house etc is because I never gave up on them. I do correct them and say it was all the staff, not just me. Whichever way it is still very humbling. One said he got his first job because of the confidence he gained as a cadet.

5 Likes

Watching the progress of a very timid recruit who was so lacking in self confidence at initial interview but who joined in everything he could and eventually left as a very self assured young man.
I really do feel that gained immensely from his time in the ATC (as it was then).

1 Like

And as it is now…

RAFAC

Nope: the ACO is now RAFAC.
RAFAC (and previously, the ACO) consists of the ATC and the CCF(RAF) - not sure how the GVCAC fit in.

2 Likes

I thought all brand changes had been halted until it was decided what’s happening with the VRT change

no the rebrand from ACO to RAFAC went ahead…
but I think poorly rolled out/ understood as a lot of units keep putting
XX Sqn RAFAC when they are XX Sqn ATC

Too many units calling themselves RAFAC!!!

I have to resist the urge to correct them on social media!

3 Likes

The way I read it is that ACO is dead, long live RAFAC. But the ATC is still the ATC and we remain 8888 (Little Snoring) Sqn ATC.

Thats the easy bit. Now when do I trade in my VR(T) pins for RAF Air Cadets slides?

Depends who you ask! Some elements of my wing staff insist that we can still use ACO, as there is a transitional period. They seem to think that the use of RAFAC will only be mandatory once the new staff process is in place!

I’m reading a Dawn Mc Mission Directive 2017.

I think you are right.

I think my wing staff are… confused?

Bless them. They probably smell of wee. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Back on topic please.

Like I said, back on topic. If you want to discuss naming of the organisation start a new thread.

Been many times over the years when running a sqn has been worthwhile. Ive had cadets come back with their own kids and thank me for helping them. Ive had cadets who had nothing at home (inc food) and that particular one is now a CPO in the Navy and has a family of his own.Others have gone on to fly for airlines and some have just got a job and been turned away from border line criminality.
Its always a nice feeling to be appreciated.Perhaps our esteemed CAC has never experienced that which is a shame for if she had she may understand why we do this thing.

2 Likes

You could extend that to all ACMB members.
The problem with these things is, you can’t run a course, give out a badge of any colour for it or put it on SMS, therefore it is meaningless to the bean counters, but invaluable to those we affect.

But these things outweigh all the badges and certificates and IMO is the single most important thing we do. One of my greatest pleasures is seeing a shy, nervous youngster join and leave after a couple of years, more confident in themselves. Anecdotally parents will tell us that they see changes in their children after a few months.

2 Likes