Best rifle to use

Hello a bit random but in your most honest opinion: whats the best rifle to use for markmanship and the worst rifle for markmanship.

A) one that fires
B) one that doesn’t fire.

5 Likes

There is debate on the which is best.

For long range. I can’t fault the L81A2.

The Scorpion Air rifle, I’ve seen some groupings of around 9mm…

Some of it boils down to using and applying the Marksmanship Principles, the size and strength of the cadet, the range involved.

1 Like

too many factors to consider.

apart from personal preference and opinion differences which are not based on facts, there are facts to take into account.

the persons physicality for instance - a L81A2 might come out on top and is the designated “target rifle” of choice for the RAFAC but is a poor choice for a 13 year old who struggles to threaten the scales above 40 kg.
there is also arguments for the location and situation - inside, outside, tube range, barrack range.
an Air Rifle is the worst choice for 600m range but likewise an L81A2 is not advised for 5.5m Sqn rifle range.

each of the rifles available to us have a specific role and fit within the scope of training in the RAFAC - they are all different for their different applications and so come with advantages and disadvantages

the "best rifle " would be the “best” for the situation

where there is a grey area is areas of overlap like 25m range - would a L114A1 be “best” over an L98A2?
but i still think there are pros and cons - given its self loading capability and 30 round magazine a high level of markship can be achieved by a shooter if their first two marksmanship principles are sound.
whereas someone who would struggle with the L98A2, unable to hold the weapon, cock it and generally feel uneasy around it due to its being “too much” for them, the L114 would be best

edit to add: it is also a different answer when teaching MM skills/principles.
it is best to teach on the Air rile or L114 as they are light and manageable, but for real life application teaching the L81A2 is likely the best method to show how and the impact of the the four principles

1 Like

Depends on the need. The one that’s easiest to progress on and get the badges is without a doubt Air Rifle. Primarily due to accessibility for most and lack of recoil. Mag fed ones even more so.

But generally for marksmanship the requested target distance would make a big difference to your choice.

Barratt M82 50Cal for all situations, nothing else suffices

1 Like

No, that is OTT. Bring back the LMG (aka Bren)!

3 Likes

For avalanche control, my preference is the M20 recoilless rifle. Don’t see them much around the UK though.

Different rifles for different jobs, innit.

1 Like

what is the tightest group available using one of those?

Grouping? Meh. If you fire it twice, your first shot was wrong.

2 Likes

SMLE mk 4, but for comfort L1A1, close the thread.

Rather have a GPMG.

Just use a Challenger 2. That’s rifled.

When you completely, utterly want to kill your target, call for Spooky.

2 Likes

Or the RAF 7.62 mm version.

Before anyone suggests nebelwerfer or ribauldequin, can we at least try to have a ratio of more helpful than humorous responses?

I always loved the Swift Training rifle - great way to introduce cadets to shooting.

L81 is the best target rifle & most fun to coach.
L144 if used properly as a .22rf target rifle for SR

Worst weapon for me is the L98A2. Boring to coach, not especially accurate & a ball lake to use due to it being section 5 firearms rather than a section 1.

However from a cadet point of view L98 opens up more course opportunities although ISCRM is the most fun of the shooting comps so that’s L81.

2 Likes

Not quite right. You may one that fires but couldn’t hit a barn door at 20 paces.

Must be able fire and in a straight line :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

but not hitting a barn door is infinitely better than not firing anything - you have got to be in the race to win it - you can get a grouping it nothing is coming out the spout!

At that point the order is ‘fix bayonets and advance’.

2 Likes