Beret Moulding Problems

Hello All,
I was instructing some new Junior Cadets in uniform care last week, in which I demonstrated how to iron and mould berets perfectly etc!
I came back this week to find a cadet had completely submerged his beret, shrinking the leather, even though I explicitly told him not to.
I checked with our Stores Sergeant and he told me that we have no new berets of that size left.
I doubt we’d be able to get new berets for a while.
Does anyone have any solutions in the short or long term?

1 Like

Cadets should never be paying for uniform. Just order them a new one or pinch one of a neighbouring Squadron.

1 Like

We never charge full cost but if we had a cadet with correct uniform care training do something careless with uniform we do tend to ask for a contribution, however the OC decided against it in this case

Mistakes happen…just get them a new beret and reinforce how mould.

That’s fraudulent and will land you in a world of trouble should anyone find out.

The uniform is given for free by the RAF. It’s theirs so any money should go to them not your squadron.

I would order a new one and ask around for a spare.

Can you wet the band again and stretch it out?

Boiling water normally does the trick…just dont put it on your head whilst boiling

I’m just a cadet jnco so I wouldn’t know but I only made this thread for purposes of fixing the beret in question. The money might actually go to raf anyway?? Idk anyway

I’ll try that! I assume you are trying to stretch the band while beret is hot?

Yeah as hot as you can physically take it without burning

I’ve found that beret size doesn’t really matter, if there’s one a size too big it should be fine.

Though the uniform is given free, they are given ONE set free as that is their right, but with that right is the responsibility to look after the uniform.

That doesn’t give you a right to start selling things which are issued free of charge.

If they aren’t taking care of uniform that’s a disciplinary matter and we have a process for that.

I’ll ask staff but this may only be about the few berets bought by the Sqn when supplies where low. It was made clear these berets weren’t counted as raf property. They were offered with the you damage, you replace system similar to school books. This wasn’t forced upon cadets and seen as a Way cadets could get a beret in a situation where they otherwise couldn’t. The cadets were told they had a choice and could wait and not wear a beret until arrival of new stock. But new cadets being excited they chose this route and thus we are here.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.