Becoming a corporal

Hi I have been in the ATC for over a year now and I am very dedicated to the corps. When I joined I loved the idea of becoming a nco but thought I wasn’t good enough. So I worked on myself and I now think I’m ready. I have passed first class, and I have 4 qualifications /badges with air cadets. I hope on every camp possible aswell as every event including charity work such as bag packing. I also have took charge of 6 nights at cadets and I have loved every minute of it. I have been recognised by atc staff and civilians for my dedication to the atc. I have just came from a camp of which a Sgt. Asked me what rank I was and get was shocked when I said a cadet aswell as nearby staff. He said that he work recommend me get a promotion to the wing commander who was also on the camp. When he asked me why I hadn’t became a corporal before now I mentioned my sqn.s system, you have to write a letter to become corporal. J3 said I should put one in. I was wondering what you guys think I need to work on or what a corporal needs (such as leadership ect )

by the sounds of it you have it…write down the above in a more formal manner, (missing out about being quizzed what rank and why)

Seems you have the skills and drive to hold rank, and the manner to be mistaken as one so seem pointless you trying to regurgitate what an NCO is if you already display the qualities.

(just my thoughts, others might come along and share their opinions)

I believe you require the leading classification before being eligible for promotion

I am in a simular situation to you, only I am leading and have completed all but 1 of the blue badge syllabus.

Would you mind telling us what badges they are?

At my SQN. You only need first class and I have started my leading.

I have done my youth first aid twice and heartstart I have got my Blue badge for radios aswell as bronze and I am on my way to passing leadership with my SQN.

Okay thankyou for your feedback

By the sounds of it you have skills and the knowledge to be an NCO. I know it varies with different squadrons and how the OC goes around promotions with certain requirements for example my squadron only has 3 NCOs which were promoted 2 years ago, they’re all still corporals hoping to get SGT. Currently the OC wants people to do the NCO courses before promoting.

I’d suggest keep showing that you can be an NCO even if you’re not currently one on squadron parade nights. Keep attending cadet events, even the “non fun” ones as it’s still an experience.

Good luck!

I I know that on my squadron, the CO will consult all the staff before promoting someone. It may be that you CO may be considering your promotion after a recommendation from a CI and that he/she is observing. Your leadership and commitment won’t go unseen. For now, just wait and see what happens. :grinning:

It will vary from unit to unit. Where I am the Wing expects that Cpl’s will have completed the Wing run Potential NCO Course.

I then have my own expectations on top (which are based mainly on the ACP. (So Leading Cadet as a minimum, excellent attendance, YFA as a few examples).

I also speak to all of my staff to seek opinions (although the final say is my own I’d be a fool not to listen to them).

I got corporal when I was just 13, a few weeks before my birthday. I had first class but the badge hadn’t arrived so my brassard was empty.

I suggest people read the AUP about their contributions to this site.

1 Like

relax with the reopening of old posts mate. We get it you’re a corporal and you think you have all this advice, but just tone it down a bit mate. I sent you a private message too, if you have stuff to say put it all onto one post on the most recent one, this is like your fourth post that you’re reopening.

as a general rule of thumb, yes, bus some squadrons tend to stop completing classifications after first class and move on to other badges (comms etc.). so don’t be surprised to see first class Corporals or above. i was leading before i got Cpl though. @CadetC