BASIC - a question of dates?

Can anyone tell me when it became a mandatory requirement by National Policy for all personnel (staff and cadets) over 18 years old to have to undertake BASIC

I didn’t know it was. All new 18+ ppl needed to do it since it was introduced but that wasn’t applied retrospectively.

OK thanks, but do you know what that date was, approximately ?

Circa 06???

I was thinking it was about '03 that Basic was brought in.

Being the sad type I am I found a certifcate dated January 2004.

The whole thing came about IRRC, after the debacle that was the LASER review, in 2003.

i would agree, falls in line with the dates i was thinking…

1. Funny enough about the same time the content was last reviewed! :evil:

Argh, don’t get me started. Some (a lot) of the content of that course was wrong when it was introduced.

I remember delivering it (when we were allowed to deliver it on squadron) to a load of senior cadets and every other sentance was “thats not right, this is what the law really says”.

I cannot understand why it has to be an attendance course, time is precious.
If we have online learning packages for cadet training and even the protecting information course why can this not be the same.
Having staff and cadets suspended or terminated from service because they have not taken it is a very sorry state of affairs.

[quote=“397k” post=10242]I cannot understand why it has to be an attendance course, time is precious.
If we have online learning packages for cadet training and even the protecting information course why can this not be the same.
Having staff and cadets suspended or terminated from service because they have not taken it is a very sorry state of affairs.[/quote]
Having done online and attendance courses for different things, I feel that being around people and sharing experience(s) and knowledge is much better than sitting in front of a computer.

^^^^^
exactly that!

for the various subjects that ciome up on a BASIC i think it should only be done in a classroom with open discussion.
online training is fine if it is just passing information, but on the two BASICs i have done (initial and re-fresher) a significant amount of time was discussing points and sharing expeirences and of course asking questions…none of that could be done online.