Barely Legal Drivers

Am I the only person here who has been watching this and wants to just slap the participants…?

www.barelylegaldrivers.com/

Although I’ve only seen a (merciful) few brief minutes of this so far, I did wonder if, in the best traditions of British ‘reality’ tv, this was largely staged-managed. Careful inexperienced drivers having the odd stall start on hill junctions would’ve made for boring telly, so I reckon they’ve picked some good 'uns, and told them to big it up for the cameras. These people couldn’t get from their beds to the bathroom, or cross the street, unless they were being pushed in a wheelbarrow.

I detect a strong Jeremy Kyle aspect- you wonder if this is entirely real, and that doubt is probably justified.

wilf_san

Thought had crossed my mind… the number of times the law was broken, surely some bright spark of a copper would have had a go?

Well that gap-tooth Jane seemed more than happy to allow a few laws to be flouted, so long as “they don’t get their own car” in the end.

That programme was strange. (But apparently, the BBC producers had told the “contestants” or whatever they are that they were going to be on a programme following British teenagers’ lives, and not about their poor driving skills; so much so that they changed the name of the programme from the one they proposed to the teens to Barely Legal Drivers just before airing.)