BADER/Microsoft - Overlaying data on a map

This won’t make sense to many people, but it’s worth a try…

Is there a way, using any of the Microsoft / BADER suite of tools, to display data (markers and area boundaries) on a map?

I’ve generated my data in QGIS and I can export it in any required format, eg. KML or SHP.

I’ve loaded it into Google Maps and that worked really well. Bing doesn’t have an equivalent, but I could use something like OpenLayers or Leaflet to overlay data on a Bing map.

I’d like to add the map to a SharePoint page (either embedded or as a hyperlink) so I want the entire solution to be within the BADER “ecosystem” if possible.

All input appreciated, many thanks.

Pretty sure excel supports this in some way, but I’ve never done it

PowerBI supports it because I use it at work, but I don’t know how to make it happen sorry!

Yes, you can do Shape Maps in PowerBI. However, it comes with the following disclaimer, and I’m not sure whether this would affect my use:

Sharing your report with a Power BI colleague requires that you both have individual Power BI Pro licenses or that the report is saved in Premium capacity.

I might give it a go this afternoon if I can’t find anything better. Thanks for the tip.

what kind of data? where are you getting it from?

You can use ArcGIS online to do this, you can set up a free account on www.arcgis.com and upload SHP and various other formats.

Beware projections though, most of the basemaps are in web Mercator, if your data is in OSGB / BNG then it should transform it for you sensibly, but always worth a sense check.

I had a little jolly essential work trip to Esri’s global HQ in LA a couple of years ago and got some pretty cool demos of what they (and 3rd party devs) have been doing with this

I’m looking for a generic answer, if there is one. But use cases could include showing boundaries for brigade coverage of TOPL regions, showing campsites on a map, etc.

Thanks for the tip, but I’m trying to keep it within the BADER ecosystem if possible.

1 Like

There is a ArcGIS plugin for sharepoint but it would likely need a licence from esri and to get the Bader guys involved.

But, from what you’re wanting to show google maps will probably do what you need.