Bader Email?

I don’t suppose anybody can offer me any pointers with linking up my bader email account to my iPhone? I can’t seem to get it to work :?

cheers :slight_smile:

This was a bit hit and miss when I did it, but it now works! Try…

Settings > Mail > Add Account > MS Exchange

Email is self explanatory (providing you use @aircadets.org and not @aco.local)

Serve = mail.aircadets.org

Domain = ACO

username = oc.XXX

And then your password. Worked for me! Failing that there is now a helpdesk article on how to do it, wait out for a link while I go digging!

There you go, on Bader Helpdesk Knowledgebase, theres a document called

20120801-Setting up ActiveSync for Bader E-Mail-U-Bader.Staffs

Should help you out if the above doesnt.

Just tried it with my new iPhone 5 …couldn’t get it to work :frowning:

Anyone got any advice?

Check these:

Email: role.wing@aircadets.org
Server: mail.aircadets.org
Domain: ACO
Username: role.wing@aco.local
Password:
Description: Whatever you wish
USe SSL: On

Its asking for:

INCOMING MAIL SERVER
Host Name
User Name
Password

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER
Host Name
User Name
Password

Wish I wasn’t such a Luddite!!

EDIT - the phone that is, not my email account… am I doing this the wrong way round?

Temporary fix - forwarding emails to my gmail account already set up on phone

Works a treat - and you get a massive storage limit!!! :slight_smile:

[quote=“bti” post=9761]Its asking for:

INCOMING MAIL SERVER
Host Name
User Name
Password

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER
Host Name
User Name
Password

Wish I wasn’t such a Luddite!!

EDIT - the phone that is, not my email account… am I doing this the wrong way round?[/quote]

Start from scratch and select Exchange as the type of account.

and a handy email back-up for moments when you might need ■■■■ covering :wink:

and a handy email back-up for moments when you might need ■■■■ covering ;-)[/quote]
My Bader emails have been forwarded from day one, due to the poxy storage limits we get for Bader. Leeroy is spot on in his analysis.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=9776]My Bader emails have been forwarded from day one, due to the poxy storage limits we get for Bader. Leeroy is spot on in his analysis.[/quote]As were mine until quite recently. While it bypasses the storage issues it made replying to messages somewhat more cumbersome.

I presently use a hybrid solution :slight_smile:

[quote=“incubus” post=9778][quote=“glass half empty 2” post=9776]My Bader emails have been forwarded from day one, due to the poxy storage limits we get for Bader. Leeroy is spot on in his analysis.[/quote]As were mine until quite recently. While it bypasses the storage issues it made replying to messages somewhat more cumbersome.

I presently use a hybrid solution :)[/quote]
I read ‘off’ Bader and reply if required ‘on’ Bader.
I only tend to use my Bader address for parents, schools etc and official ATC types or if an offical reply is needed, although I would say 99% of people don’t care where the email comes from, I know I don’t, and I would summise the majority of ATC email traffic is to private addresses, because 99% of people you want to contact in the Corps, don’t have a personal ATC email.

I have been told many of the limitations of the Corps’ email system are imposed by the MoD, but as an email system is pretty much unfit for purpose. If we all used it as it probably intended it would collapse within a week or maybe two.

My OC got a bit annoyed quite recently when he found out that the Sqn Adj account and my Wing role account both have double the storage capacity of his :smiley: :smiley:

Any tips on syncing it to a laptop Outlook/Thunderbird client? I know Outlook is now accepted, but Thunderbird is having issues.

I note there’s a new policy on mail on phones, seems you MUST have a keypad lock to use it.

Its an imposition that MoD put on the phone. Its software that is loaded without your permission onto your phone that re-sets its security profile. That is why I don’y use it, as I’ll decide what goes on my phone not MoD.

The system is unfit for purpose, breaks frequently and is another example of stupidity.

Carry on breaking protocol and use a more reliable email service.

No it is not. The software is already on your phone and operates in tandem with the Outlook Web Access application on the server to require certain security settings to be in place to ensure that the security on the telephone is set at an appropriate level to protect the corporate information.

The server has been set to require connected mobile devices to automatically lock and to require a PIN to unlock. It also requires the owner to accept that the phone may be wiped remotely if lost/compromised.

You are quite right though: If you don’t want your own kit to comply with the security requirements of the ACO mail system then you don’t need to connect it.

I have not known the email system to fail and over time it has become more useful and usable. The available storage space issue is a function of the cost of the system and is unlikely to be revised significantly.

The main problems I have with the email system are social in nature: because not every squadron operates in the same way we can find that emails are not sent to the appropriate account and can get missed. If we end up monitoring multiple accounts we spend most time seeing and deleting the same crap which gets sent to every account.

I can’t remember where I saw it, but the Bader team did put something out saying although it’s an MOD requirement to have the pin lock, they could never wipe your phone data due to some legal thing.

Thanks for putting me right incubus.

I still don’t want any interation from the MoD of all places with my phone, therefore won’t connect as you you suggest.

As for cost, well, once bean-counters are involved you can forget progress at an acceptable rate!

How much progress do you think we should have?

Our present system of having 5 distinct email addresses per unit (general, OC, Tg Off, Adj, chair) leads to muddle, and duplication while not giving every member of staff their own, personal access.

If we give all staff an email account we end up with even more duplication unless we “convert” the general account into a shared mailbox which all other accounts monitor. We could then (try to) enforce a system where general mail always goes to the general account but where individuals can be addressed directly if necessary.

Do we then try to use Microsoft Linc to provide an instant message and/or VoIP telephony solution corps-wide? Would that be beneficial or would it be a nightmare?

And could we come close to affording the licences and the additional servers and storage?