ATC cadets using L98 conversion kits

ahhh i see your point…

It is only the ATC that puts the prior experience ahead of L98A2? (ie must have No8 or air rifle?)

I thought i heard the ACF Cadets can go straight on to the L98A2…if this is the case the CCF can cheery pick the rules (Army or Air) they like?

Only since the introduction of the PROGRESSIVE training syllabus, where marksmanship expertise is put ahead of practicality and the provision of an engaging shooting experience.

Yes/No. To pass their basic training they need to complete the training and WHT on either an air rifle or .22 rifle and then pass a basic shooting assessment. They can then move on to do their SAA on the L98A2, at which point they can fire blank or live, irrespective of age. They do need to pass their 1 star shoot on the air rifle or .22 rifle before they can pass their 2 star shoot on the L98A2, but there is no rule that says they can’t fire it on the range. Also, we have no minimum age requirement for firing the L98A2.

1 Like

I think the confusion here is over the role of the conversion kit. It’s not an alternative means of firing on .22 before moving onto the L98A2; it’s a means for CCF cadets who have already trained and qualified on the L98A2 to fire the weapon on the CCF unit’s own range, as most have (or at least used to have) their own indoor .22 ranges.

Most if not all CCF cadets start out on the No.8/L144A1 so training is progressive anyway, even if the syllabus doesn’t explicitly require it. And CCF(RAF) operate under the RAFAC shooting syllabus anyway, or should do.

1 Like

I’m a member of the CCF, and we’ve had to pass the Air Cadets Weapons Handling test for the L98A2 Cadet GP Rifle before being allowed to fire with the .22 conversion kits on the L98. Also, our contingents only rifles are the L98s, therefore we’ve only ever used them. However, the .22 is a good start for newer cadets whom never shot a rifle before and the 5.56mm might be a bit too much at first!

That’s not true. The requirement to fire a small bore rifle before moving on to the L98 was brought in by the RCs some time ago and has nothing to do with the progressive syllabus. The Syllabus did bring in its own challenges by upping the required standard before one could progress.

Keep your eyes peeled, you never know, changes might be coming to make life easier…

Always peeled, though I’d be happy if the errors and inconsistencies were fixed.

I like people to start on small-bore and learn the art of shooting before complicating their lives with the L98, but I also appreciate that the L98 is a whole lot more fun. My concept of being a competent shot on the No8 (and therefore progressing to full-bore) would be being able to consistently find all of the holes on the target and not having any noticeable quirks in operation…

While it is nice for cadets to become progressively better shots and earn different badges, I really consider that the cadet’s decision. If they simply want to prove competence and have a go at a larger rifle then I should have no objection to them doing so. It isn’t like full-bore shooting happens so frequently that my whole squadron will be wasting rounds every weekend!

I tend to agree. Having barriers to cadets accessing any weapons system should be down to availability of weapons and ranges, not a self imposed rule of whether someone is brilliant or not.