AT Quals and the Faff that is

I can’t speak for other people, but I can tell you that when I enquired about getting a walking qualification (about 4 years ago, and with a view to getting cadets through Bronze Expeds), I was told by the WATTO that realistically, it would be 2 years before I would be in a position to take cadets out. That includes time waiting for a course, doing the course, logging your own personal walks, and then waiting to receive the OK from HQAC.

That’s a big commitment for people who just want to run the occasional day walk/nav training, and was too much for me, given that I am an OC, RCO, SAI, FCI, and ECO, which all need minimum participation levels for me to remain competent. I can only assume others have similar thoughts.

2 Likes

No, because an overnight stop would suggest that there is a lot more walking involved, more scope for weather to change, further distances, fatigue etc etc. A day walk locally the risk is massively reduced.

Having not done a course doesn’t mean I am unable to know this information, and with a route approved by wing through SMS and with suitable kit lists and RA’s attached, surely this is enough to mitigate for a few hours walk?

Not really relevant to a walk around a local area…?

Guys, you’re getting a little off topic here. Take it to PM please.

It is, because it starts off at the top of that thread talking about heuristic traps and the assumption that because it’s local, it’s safe, because nothing’s ever happened there in your experience. Doesn’t mean it won’t, or can’t.

A route approved like assessing an individual’s competence to lead an activity you mean?

I think it’s a valid discussion for all. Split it if you’d like.

1 Like

Pressed enter too soon!

I get that, and I would agree to an extent. But I’m not talking about releasing cadets into the wild, unsupervised. I’m talking about walking around with them in a small group, getting them to take bearings, orientate the map, judge distances, etc.

Frankly, I think any NGB awards are a little bit of overkill in that situation.

Yes, but if you haven’t got one, C’est Impossible

1 Like

But it’s not impossible to get the qualification, it takes 2 weekends of your life and a little admin, but because people have a perception that it’s too difficult or that it’s not necessary they don’t bother and then whinge that the opportunities aren’t present or that the practical elements of Navigation Training aren’t taught.

And that’s why the ACTO allows for basic nav training on an EUF to be conducted by anyone approved by the Sqn OC in discussion with the WATTO.

2 weekends, plus the minimum of 10 pre-training walks, and the minimum of 20 post training consolidation walks and of course, your assessment walk ( all according to the website)? Not to mention the cost. That is 18 full weekends…

All whilst fitting in normal cadet activities, family life, work life. It’s a mystery why people are put off…

If you’re an outdoorsy person, then I can see that it is something you’d be happy to do. If you’re looking to use the qualification as a means to an end, then it suddenly becomes much less actractive.

1 Like

Exactly, you’re saying it’s impossible, but you’ve invested all the time to become an RCO - which is broadly comparable to Lowland leader when you take into account attending a few ranges to get some experience, IWT, two weekend SA(SR)07 etc etc. etc.

Which is brilliant if your country park is located next door to your unit. But, if not, then not so good…

So… you want to go out and teach cadets how to navigate. But you don’t have 10 lowland walks you could put into a logbook already?

If you aren’t already doing something as a hobby, how on earth can you expect to become an instructor in that element?

1 Like

It’s 10 QLDs prior to training, a weekend training course, then a further 10 QLDs then a weekend assessment.

24 days (ish… A QLD can only be 4hrs) total, at least 10 of which I’d expect you already have from your past experience. If you don’t then I’d question why you think you should be allowed to instruct cadets without relevant experience in the environment.

It comes back to priorities again. Cadet stuff getting in the way? Prioritise and do less so you can work towards your qualification. Family life? You mean to say you can’t integrate a walk into a family activity?

Don’t blame the system simply because you have chosen not to prioritise doing what you need to do in order to deliver the activity you want to deliver.

1 Like

Any chance of a topic split here? This conversation has gone way off topic…

Sure. Wait a min, it takes ages on the phone.

1 Like

@redowling are you able to get a “How To” guide for gaining the LLA?

watch out, that’ll be the next #TrainingTuesday :wink:

10 individuals including any other support staff.

1 Like

Unless the support staff is a competent assistant.