Are fidget toys allowed?

Basically I have autism and ADHD (very recently diagnosed) and I have a uniform inspection and drill test tomorrow. Do you think I will be allowed to have a fidget toy on me during the uniform inspection as usually I can get quite restless especially when a lot of cadets are getting inspected.

Fellow ADHDer and adult staff.

Are your staff aware? If so, let them know that this is a situation where you need support.

A fidget toy would not strictly speaking be permissible, but there are other solutions that can be explored - such as your being inspected first and then being allowed to fall out.

My solution in these situations is wiggling my toes if that helps, that might work for you also.

6 Likes

Thanks.
I’ll talk to them tomorrow about seeing if I can fall out early after being inspected or just by letting them know in case I do start to lose focus. I don’t have paperwork to prove anything, that will be sent to my parents in 2 weeks.
When I’m doing drill too I have a tendency to look around despite the NCOs and CO telling everyone to keep their head and eyes up. I do my best but most of the time when doing drill my eyes face the floor.

2 Likes

We have a number of cadets with the same, and we do allow specific fidget toys. Personally I don’t fall them out as when we were discussing it they felt as if they weren’t part of the group.

A common one used is a metal ring which can be used either almost as a massage, or can be pulled straight and generally fidgeted with.

But as always with a discussion with staff, and if willing the cadet NCOs

Could a possible solution be to split the flight/Sqn into smaller groups for the inspection? Inspect group by group, with the affected person in the first one, and then stand each group down on completion of that group - perhaps to prepare for the next activity?

That would satisfy the “standing about” issue without possibly stigmatising the individual.

Just a thought…

And break with years of tradition of having cadets standing around on parade, have some sense that man there!

To add - Agree, definitely look at doing this, great idea. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

First up - it sounds like you’ve only recently been tested / got confirmation… WELL DONE!

You obviously recognised in yourself that there was something…! It must have taken a LOT of courage to go and speak to someone!

If you haven’t already told the staff - is there a particular member of staff, or a staff cadet you feel you can talk easily to?

Although you’re not obliged to tell anyone, you may feel more relaxed once they know - you can ask them to be discrete or ask them to support you while you tell your colleagues…

Every member of staff should have YOUR interests in heart - what is going to help YOU to achieve…!

There may be plenty of instances where something like a fidget spinner isn’t appropriate - such as in the cockpit of a Tutor…

But let’s put it into context… which is of greater importance - simply participating, demonstrating that you can keep your uniform tidy and well presented, ability to join in with drill, or to be able to “stand still” / “look up”…?

Everyone around you, should WANT to help you to achieve.

(For what it’s worth, I know of a cadet that uses a wedding ring, with a rotating centre band, as their device, and of at least two padres that play with their rosary beads in times of stress…

1 Like

I have recently had a wonderful discussion with 2 of our cadets who suffer with anxiety and ADHD. Instead of offering solutions I asked them how they feel they’d best be able to manage their conditions, whilst staying in-keeping with the “military organisation rules”.
They both came back to me the following week with their solutions. A simple, but unobtrusive fidget ring. Whilst (I know) not “uniform” I believe it’s a best fit solution for all of us.
Now both individuals feel comfortable and have an extra outlet they needed.

8 Likes

i looked at ap1258c and rings are allowed in the uniform

Not all rings are created equal though. There are many rings that aren’t allowed, like thumb rings and flashy rings filled with gems.

Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf-Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made. Deep in the land of Mordor, in the Fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged a master ring, and into this ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life.

One ring to rule them all.

13 Likes

Nicely quoted…

But could you imagine the “old fashioned japes” of sending a cadet to The Stores to “requisition a ring…”?