Appointment to CWO

Hello, I’m look at CWO appointments, know you must be 18 year or over, at what point can an individual be bordered before they are 18, is this a matter of weeks or could it be done 2-3 months before the individuals 18 birthday. Knowing the appointment can take it time going all the way up CoC and back down is 2-3 months reasonable?

Hi there,

In order to be a CWO, you must be a minimum of 18 years old (Additionally, a staff cadet of course).
As for recommendations being submitted before turning 18, I’m not entirely sure. There will most likely someone else here on ACC who can give a clearer answer :+1:

Below I have put what is written out in ACP 20:

ACP 20 Pers 503:
“Appointment of Staff Cadet Warrant Officers (CWOs)”

Appointments
3. Recommendations for the appointment of CWOs will be initiated by the Squadron Commanding Officer (Sqn CO). Minimum age is 18 yrs and all appointments will cease on the 20th birthday.
4. Recommendations are to be made on the application form (Pers Form 5-03); once complete Sqn COs are to pass it to Wing HQ for action. If the appointment is agreed by the OC Wing, Wing HQs are to formalise the appointment on Bader SMS and inform their respective Rgnl HQs accordingly.
5. A Certificate of Appointment signed by the Rgnl Comdt will be produced and sent to the Wing HQ for presentation to the individual. The date of appointment is the date approved by the Wing Headquarters or the date the cadet reaches the age of 18, whichever is the later

I hope this helps in some way :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve heard of it being done before a cadets turns 18, but usually no more than a few weeks.

My understanding is that once the Wing Commander has signed off the CWO is appointed, so it really shouldn’t take very long. It doesn’t have to go all the way to HQ RAFAC.

OC Wing is the deciding body, it gets forwarded to the RHQ for a certificate to be issued but they would normally be wearing the rank following the board.

1 Like

Exactly all of this!

There’s no need to worry about it going up and down the CoC in this case.

I’ve certainly seen it in the past where the OCs recommended it 1/2 months before they turn 18 so that a meeting with OC Wing can be set up 1/2/3 weeks before they turn 18. It’s great as it means the day they turn 18 they can be promoted. Assuming the ‘interview’ goes well!

And I’d add that someone going for CWO should really already be known by OC Wing, as the kind of person suitable for CWO should be doing a lot out in the Wing already :wink:

For what if worth im happy to board people around 17 and 10 months. So if succesful they adopt the rank on their 18th

2 Likes

It really is time you get rid of the age limit in the ATC. If a candidate is good enough then give them the rank

2 Likes

likely to happen by default when O18 cadets are no longer a thing soon

Our wing hold boards every 1-2 months depending on demand. This covers all types like new CFAV entering the org to CFAV SNCO promotion boards and CWO.

So much like @AlexCorbin could easily be scheduled in 2 months prior to 18

This rumour persists with zero evidence.

1 Like

Last briefing i had with CAC the vibe was the exact opposite to the rumour aswell

But lets not start that thread for the millionth time

2 Likes

interesting as the briefing I was in had the exact opposite implied by the same person

Wonder if anyone has thought about this in the CCF context since the ASTRA changes?
CCFs need the CWO rank for the ‘head of corps/contingent’ role, where a cadet could easily be in charge of 200+ other cadets; and making it 18+ only doesn’t work for that role. (17+ would be fine and would be a good start.) Currently CCF don’t have the age restriction.