Apply for Sgt or straight for commission?

Couldn’t find this asked anywhere before so here goes:

Right now I’m a new-ish CI (6mo?), who’s also acting as the Sqn Trg Off (which I’ve been doing for around 4mo). Ultimately I intend to be in uniform, and eventually with a commission. However, I’m wondering if there is much benefit to going for a SNCO position first and then applying for a commission, or whether I just apply straight for a commission.

I understand the commission process is a bit more long winded, but I do wonder if it’s just better to apply direct.

What do those of you with more experience than me think?

1 Like

If you have your sights set on Commission and your OC feels this is the best route for you, I would suggest go straight for a Commission.

Yes it is a longer process because of an added interview but not a dramtic increase that would frustrate you, especially as you are already aware of it taking longer.

1 Like

Yeah, to echo above, if you want a commission go for it from the off.
SNCO is a different job despite the lines being blurred in many places.
Don’t be coaxed into a role you don’t want.

1 Like

If you want a commission, apply for a commission.

6 Likes

Be aware that is you go direct to a commission it is virtually impossible to become an NCO if you find it is not for you.

Echoing the above.

If commissioning is your end goal start there.

If you go SNCO it will feel like sucking eggs to transition to commission as you start again at the “bottom” in terms of training. That might be ok by you but i know a few who have gone through it and got frustrated their treated like complete newbies despite 5 years SNCO time

What is your motivation for SNCO to want to choose that?

I was told that it would be better to be in uniform quicker as an SNCO and then transition so I thought I would test that theory here.

Quicker maybe…

But will make the transition feel longer as you cover old ground…as an SNCO there ae no shortcuts through the commission process and will be expected to start at the beginning

1 Like

I’m in the same predicament - perhaps you could give me some advice…

I’m currently a CWO about to age out and turn in to staff.

I like the idea of commissioning and supporting a squadron in a managerial role - adjutant, training officer etc… however, I’m also very good at d&c training and developing self-discipline etc…

I can’t decide myself if I’m more ‘Sqn SNCO’ material or ‘Sqn Officer’ material.

What would your advice me when deciding which path they should go down? Can I still deliver d&c training and maintain discipline on the squadron as an officer?

1 Like

Yes…to a point.
Sooner or later an SNCO will step in or another officer will suggesting a task for you in the office.

If D&C (i presume Drill & Ceremonial?) is your interest then go SNCO.
It is a more natural fit and you’ll not get questioned so much why you’re getting involved if you were an officer.

The Sqn roles are still open to you as a SNCO indeed there are some units run by FSs and WOs

2 Likes

Have a chat with your OC, they will give you their thoughts on what they think is the best route for you and what suits your personality.

1 Like

Have a chat with either your Sector Commander or Wing Adult staff development officer if you have one and arent getting any joy from your first call of OC.

Many wings run a CFAV development day where you can find out further info on SNCO or Officer.

Personally, I think it’s a good idea to go to NCO first and then onto Officer in the future.
If you are in your 20s and go for officer, where do you go from there. Wing Commander is a long way off if you want that position, but likely you will be a FOff or Flt Lt for a few years- obviously assuming you stick the RAFAC for a few decades. It seems to depend on your Sqn and Wing make up- I know a number of SNCOs in executive positions including CIs. The lines have become too blurred over the years.
However I do get what others say about the switch across. I’m a WO probably considering Officer within the next 24 months, but the thought of being a FOff fills me with dread! I will pushing towards Flt Lt asap (I’m in a OC position).

1 Like

I’d agree with @custardcream that Sgt is a better option for someone aging out, bit less pressure than commissioning straight off and you get to see the organisation from a different (equally valuable perspective).

I’d not rule out starting as a CI either though. A year to 18 months as a CI, you’d be well placed to decide between commission and SNCO.

Having gone the Cadet > SNCO > Commission route I would heartily not recommend it.

All it does is waste your time going through the selection process and ATF (or whatever it’s called this week) twice.

Unless you have an ambition to be a DI you might as well go for a Commission and just have the stubbornness/spine to say “no” if they try and push you into things your not ready for.

6 Likes

If you commission from a Warrant Officer don’t you automatically assume the rank of Flt Lt? I thought anyway.

No

A WO can be fast tracked to Fg Off but think they need to have served a minimum number of years to be eligible .

After that there’s no advantage to prior WO rank status in getting higher up the officer ranks

In the RAF yes, Fg Off in the RAFAC

1 Like