Any tips for new NCO?

hey so i finally got promoted last week to cpl after 2 years and was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Whatever anybody tells you, whoever you look up to as a leader or an NCO, however you think you need to be, don’t try to be someone else, don’t try to do something which isn’t true to yourself, and don’t forget that (while you can still develop) the way you conducted yourself before promotion is how you earned it, so there’s no need to make any drastic changes.

1 Like

If you want people to be happy and respect you, don’t tell them you finally got promoted after two years. People wait longer and you could have 7 years in the corps anyway. Just saying.

Two ears, one mouth, use in that ratio.

1 Like

yeah fair point thanks:grinning:

Congratulations… I’m going to repeat a previous posting I did on this - apologies for everyone else for the repeat:

Golden rules… respect is earned and not a right of rank. Never ask someone to do something you would not do yourself and don’t abuse your position. Have high standards for yourself and coach those around you to get as close as they can to your high standard.

Start how you mean to go on but make sure you do what you say. In other words, it’s good discipline to expect cadets to stand to attention when speaking to staff and NCO’s, in turn you should do the same so that new cadets will pickup that standard and then it becomes second nature.

Know your cadets! talk to them and get to know what they do outside the Squadron, understand their individual personalities and leverage this over time.

You can’t change the world overnight and you need the other NCO’s as much as they need you.

get on a JNCO course and finally, congratulations on your promotion, talk to your fellow NCO’s and work as a team.

1 Like

thank you!