Annual camp questions

Please dont tell me to ask my sqn staff because my sqn has closed over the summer so i cant. So this is my first annual camp and im very scared (not too good with going far from home). I’m just asking a couple of questions because I dont want to get in trouble there for having the wrong uniform etc.

1. Are they USUALLY strict there? I know it depends on the staff but roughly?
  2. When they say ‘Swimming Kit’ on the kit list, does it have to be plain black with a plain black swimming cap or can it be coloured??
  3. What time is wakeup and sleep usually??
  4. Not related to camp exactly but do you have to iron MTP (aka put any creases in)??

Thank you! :relaxed:

1. As you say it depends on the staff. On the whole I’ve found that the smaller the camp the more relaxed everyone is but even on a large camp it isn’t necessarily all shouting and screaming. I’ve always found RAF annual camps to be some of the most chilled out camps I’ve been on, provided everyone behaves and is on time.
  2. I can’t imagine there’d be any problem with colourful kit.
  3. Depends on the station and staff. Generally speaking you can expect to be at breakfast between 0700-0800 so be waking up between 0600-0645. Your staff may place a restriction on how early you can get up though. In my experience lights out is traditionally between 2230-2300 but it does depend on your staff and what you’ve been up to during the day.
  4. Just iron it flat.

There’s no need to be scared of camp. When I first joined cadets I was massively nervous and shy but I absolutely loved camp and went on one every year I was a cadet (and continue to do so as staff). My advice would be to be prepared to make friends with cadets from other squadrons and don’t be afraid to have a go at everything and ask questions. Camp is the best thing about the cadet experience, enjoy it!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!! This has definitely helped me a lot! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey, I am just travelling back from my first annual camp in wales. It is very good and enjoyable! The whole week, we have been waking up at 6am as breakfast is at 7am. The day will be packed with activities and you should get a camp t-shirt. Each day there is a different dress. MTPs do not need a crease in but DPMS do, a suit bag will help to keep the crease in while travelling. BRING HANGERS otherwise your free time will be taken up with ironing.

Swimming kit can be any type as long as it is a 1 piece.

Also if you can, bring hair straighteners they are amazing for getting a perfect crease in your uniform.

I hope this info helps

my son has just returned from his first RAF camp at Benson. Admittedly he did do SuperCamp 17 which he was even more apprehensive about as there was over 250 cadets but he loved every day.

He too was a little apprehensive but I spoke to him every day and you could tell he became more relaxed as the week went on.

To be honest, he likes meeting new people and is not afraid of joining in with a group of kids he’s never met before.

You’ll be fine. If you are concerned, speak to your staff. They will understand. All those who are first timers are watched to make sure they bed in ok and eat. The best advice is to eat and sleep well. You probably won’t have much time to think about home as you’ll be busy doing lost of exciting new things.

I’ve seen many many first timers come back from camp and they’ve grown into confident, independent individuals that cannot wait for the next camp.

Kit wise, take what you have. As long as you have a swimming costume not a bikini you’ll be fine. It doesn’t matter what colour it is.

Yes you’ll have to iron your uniform but MTP shouldn’t have creases in it anyway.

Take a combination padlock with you for your locker and if you are in shared accommodation, lock your valuables in your case when you leave your room. Don’t leave them lying about.

The food is normally pretty good on camp and there is plenty of it. Make sure you eat and drink plenty, you will burn it off throughout the day.

Camps can be disciplined but the days of a WO screaming and shouting have all gone. Most stations work shifts so they emphasis on quietly marching around.

You’ll love it. Trust me. Ive done around 20 camps over the years both as a cadet and adult staff and never hated any one of them.