Ammo Pouches

Hey guys, just a quick question.
How do you get ammo pouches to stop flapping up when you try to open them?
I’ve currently got two ammo pouches mounted on two quick release pouches, which are then mounted on the main molle belt
As the main pouches are Velcro opening, they tend to flap up when I try to open them
Some people have suggested using a bungee to hold them down but I’ve tried it and it doesn’t seem to work
I’ve also tried a strap around the leg to hold them there, but that just feels weird and doesn’t work well when kneeling
Any ideas/ suggestions?
Thanks

Attach the ammo pouches to the molle belt directly.

I’d rather not, I find the quick release ones quite useful, especially during things like WHTs, where I don’t have to worry about closing a pouch
Thanks anyway, do you have any other ideas?

I’m confused about what you are actually doing. Can you take a picture?

it’s not letting me upload a picture at the minute, but I’m using these quick-release pouches: Pouch

I’ve got the magazine ammo pouches attached to the molle on the front of the elasticated ones, then the elasticated ones attached to the belt

Does that help?

Try running a utility strap around the bottom of the pouches, on the inside.

Either you haven’t attached then to the molle belt properly by weaving them through the straps or you have mounted them too low.

The bungie cord around the bottom is a good way to overcome it and means your pouches wont bounce as much when running.

They also become a lot more rigid when you have mags in them.

Or a bungee

Assuming you have the molled all attached properly, the problem is that the open pouches are empty, which is going to make things awkward. The problem will be worse if you have limited molle rows on your belt. What belt are you using?

I would either:

1. Try stuffing the open pouches with something when not in use. It might make them more rigid and make using the lidded pouches easier.
  2. Just use the lidded pouches. If you practice with them they are really easy to use. Even easier if you use the double mag version.

Using a bungee or utility strap will keep everything together and will help with things boucing around, but it would likely only be partially successful with this issue.

Ok if I understand your set up correctly you have
Molle ‘battle’ belt
Osprey Mkiv Pouch Ammunition SA80 Single Mag Elastic Securing
Then another mag pouch mounted on the front of the elasticated pouch?

Afraid this is never going to work the way you want it!

The molle at the front is too loose to carry the weight of a double ammo etc pouch. And the lidded ammo pouches are taller. I think the molle is there to hold the elastic, not extra kit.

Others here will know for sure but my understanding is the elasticated mag pouch was designed to go on the body armour especially for vehicle mounted troops.

I don’t like that design on the belt, it doesn’t give enough protection from dirty for the mags in the prone position or hacking through undergrowth.

I get your point about convenience for WHTs though especially if you’re more on the range than doing fieldcraft.

I’d suggest (in order of expense)

1. As others have said mount them directly to your molle belt
  2. Replace the elasticated pouches with regular ones, I’d recommend the sharp shooter version
  3. Buy a couple of decent molle utility / admin pouches and mount the elasticated mag ones on those. Get a decent brand (you’d get away with coyote tan or green if you are putting another pouch on the front). You don’t want the mag pouches to fall off

Once done secure rhe above with a bungee or better still paracord to stop pouch bounce.

The quick release pouches are your speed reload pouches. Used for quick reloading in a combat situation. Mainly Modernised Urban Combat. The general idea being that you have one speed reload pouch and it’s in the same place, usually on your plate carrier, for muscle memory and always contains a full magazine. If you are doing a tactical reload, last bound check or just changing to a full magazine, you draw it from your other “normal” ammunition pouches.

Or you can be a Gucci, high speed low drag, ally, warfighting, Spartan dude and have loads of them.
They are a bit gash, especially for anything other than MUC.

You don’t really want to have ammunition pouches molled onto a speed reload pouch. Maybe a single pistol speed reload magazine pouch. As discussed above with the lack of object or weight in the pouch behind. I had a battle belt that had a similar problem if i understand this right, and it was only a problem on pistol ranges because of no magazines behind it.
I ended up binning off the battle belt because it was crap. I ended up using my trusty normal PLCE webbing, or my rigs.

MOLLE “battle belts” are gash for anything other than a light load for the ranges, which could be good for cadets. If you are intent on having a speed reload pouch, try having 1 SR pouch, then 2 double mag pouches to the left of it.

End of the day it’s cadets, not an SF operation. You can just take the hit and close those tricky Velcro pouches…

1 Like

The Rear Admiral speaks the truth

I’m going to weigh in with a different point of view. (I don’t disagree with what RAS says, I just use my webbing differently.)

I do have this set up on my webbing: 4x Triple Ammo attached to Single Ammo QR pouches. However, I use that set up for Nijmegen Marching only. The single ammo pouches are weighted so that I can have the weight distributed more evenly around my body, and still have all the useful space the Triples provide. (Have you tried getting a flask out of a double?)

HOWEVER, those single QR pouches carry nothing else. They are sealed up and the triple pouches are attached level to them, not one row down. The reason? because attaching mag pouches to mag pouches is not a setup which lends itself to using the back pouches. At all.

If you want to carry 3 mags in the space of two MOLLE ladders. Just buy the triple pouch. (Sharpshooter Mag Pouches)

Where I do disagree with RAS is the value of Molle belts. I love mine, it’s by far the most comfortable set of webbing I’ve ever owned and I have used it weighted for Nijmegen and poncing around STANTA at JLs, with it full of ammo, smoke and a Bowman on my back. (Staff don’t usually carry ammo and weapons but an injury on the last day meant the cadet was taken for treatment, but the ammo still had to be in the field for use.)

1 Like

Horses for courses. Battle belts are alright for short stuff or range packages.

Out of interest what belts do you use?

The Disciple one. It’s so padded it’s like being hugged. Oddly, it only has four attachment points for a yo
ke, but their own yoke is 6 points! I remedied this by using the T-Bar D-Ring attachment from the single point sling to make additional attachment points.
It’s also got more Molle loops at the back than the standard belt.

Thanks for the advice guys, I’m going to change it around and remove the speed reload pouches and just leave the ammo pouches directly onto the belt

1 Like

If you want a speed reload pouch have a single one to the right of your ammo pouches, towards the buckle?