Ammo Boots

Ah, Remembrance Parade roulette. Will I slide on the ice? Will I slip on a wet manhole cover? Will I crash over in the church? Fun times, and I managed to keep perpendicular each year (others not so lucky!)

3 Likes

It was always the cobbles i struggled with

1 Like

You quickly get a feel for which surfaces require extra care, like stepping short.

I’ve never given too much weight to the “they’re too dangerous” argument though since I see stacks of Sea Cadet staff and cadets marching about in them without incident every year.

1 Like

The RBL always make sure we don’t go too fast so we don’t slip!

I can see why they should be at the front, but I can’t help but feel they would be more at home in the middle or at the back where speed is less of an issue.

2 Likes

Crowborough, WFW 2009. You and KT marching along the main drag in crunchy boots when you lost your footing. We all wondered whether you were break-dancing, suffering a seizure or had just not yet mastered the boots!

I bet you can still hear the laughter! :rofl:

2 Likes

Why must it only be one of those things?

1 Like

Happy memories…
Needless to say I avoided those cobbles from then on.

I also recall you hoping to catch me out going down the slope and being disappointed that, stopping calmly and smoothly as I did, I did not give you “the show you were looking for”. :wink:

Yes, you did disappoint us there!

1 Like

Yes, you have to learn to walk all over again!! And not to slip and look like a right charlie!!

Like what?

They were very useful to wear as a cadet CWO in the 1970’s - on the Isle of Wight, the “Mods & Rockers” didn’t like the skinhead cult & vice-versa; if neither group had a target for a skirmish (the respective groups would even pop across from Portsmouth for an evening’s entertainment!), cadets were fair game.

A quick scrape down a shin, or a stamp on a toe, soon changed their direction. :wink: A reverse kick was better to avoid damaging a toecap. :grin:

Having worn both ammo boots and studded oxfords, I can confirm that both are very dangerous, a slope of any kind puts you at a 90% risk of smacking into the floor.

I ordered that good value pair from Ebay that someone posted about last week out of sheer interest. Don’t know if I dare wear them though mind…

Uh oh, think that was me - caveat emptor! :wink:

Worth a pop for £40! :rofl:

I’m told they can be resoled with a ‘commando’ sole, though that could get expensive

BOTH
Ammo boots devils footwear. WOs spawn of the Devil , Not all just some

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.