Ammo boots for parades

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows the rules regarding ammo boots? I’ve heard that they are approved but not recommended by WO Mindy but don’t know if that still stands

For Qualified Drill Instructors (completed SSDIC) only.

Sgt-FS = Ammo Boots
WO = studded oxfords

1 Like

Is that genuinely written down somewhere?

First I’ve heard about that! I don’t see any need in demarcation of a non-drill instructor wearing the studded boots.

However I was under the impression that they were banned for cadet forces about 15-20 years ago due to:-

• the boots being too heavy for use by cadets when their bones are still developing.

• the studs presenting an easily avoidable slip hazard on grates & other smooth surfaces where parade grounds are clear of but cadet centresv& public parades are not.

• the damage they will do to flooring inside.

• CFAVs aren’t scaled for them so they shouldn’t be wearing them (this use to be a big thing a couple of decades ago inc SNCO not wearing No1s or SD hats!).

In short, the studded boots are more trouble than they are worth, & present a risk that can easily be avoided.

3 Likes

To my knowledge, they are not even included in AP 1358 for the RAF. This being because the RAF would have to scale them to their DI’s (Outside of KCS).

Like anything, raise it to through your chain of command through to WWO/RWO. :blush::+1:

Using this argument can I avoid ever having to wear MTP?..

On topic, our WO wears some on parades. They do sound good, but he can’t bend his feet and has once come a cropper when walking down a slight incline…

If a cadet; no chance, don’t even think it.
If a CFAV; you could get away with it, but more faff than they’re worth.

2 Likes

As it’s private purchase yes. Just say you don’t have and you’re not paying for it (although someone might say that’s what your VA is for)

I had both - still got shoes - boots in the garage (somewhere)

I’ve got these for stomping around in the day job. Oxford shoes in No1 though.

My question is, WHY do some people feel they need to wear studded boots or shoes? Do they serve some magical purpose? Do they enhance the cadet experience?

Or is it just another step on the ladder of waltiness?

6 Likes

Surely the first rule of wearing uniform is to be as different from everyone else as you can get away with.

That’s not Waltyness it’s allyness and if it’s good enough for Monty surely it’s good enough for everyone else? :rofl:

No I don’t wear ammo boots, they don’t match my Gillet.

And they murder your feet

2 Likes