Alt-bergs - which polish to use?

Having recently bought a pair of altbergs I’m unsure which polish to use. Obviously there’s Leder Gris but I’d rather hold back than pay for that. I’ve bought a tin of dark tan and a tin of mid tan (and some lovely new brushes :smiley:) but I am unsure which will be the most closely matching without turning my boots purple.

Cheers

Mid or light tan only mate, dark tan will turn them purple

Cheers I thought so, I’ll keep the dark for making the bull on my parades a deeper black

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi there,

Although you are correct in saying that the ‘Kiwi Dark Tan’ has a ‘purpling’ effect, I have found in my experience that Kiwi polish altogether doesn’t agree very well with Alt-Berg boots. As a quick fix, granted it may be the best option, but if your main goal is to prolong the life of your leather, then I suggest only using the ‘Leder Gris’ high shine gloss and the ‘Leder Glös’ water repellent wax oil. Over time, the chemicals in the Kiwi polish start to break down the leather which causes a less than desirable crumbling effect. I have had three pairs of Alt-Bergs and there is a noticeable difference between the two that had regular polishing with Kiwi Tan and the one pair that I used only Alt-Berg polish on.

CWO McB

Yeah, agree with the CWO - stick with the leder gris stuff, it’s vastly superior to standard polish.

It’s not the answer you want, but I’m afraid that ‘kiwi will be fine…’ isn’t the truth.

1 Like

The kiwi type polish really isn’t suitable for use on alt bergs. It is for traditional leather footwear. If you use it on altbergs you risk losing any breathability. Just use leder gris.

2 Likes

Why did this get unlocked? Thanks anyway chaps

Unlocked to allow some further thoughts on the subject