Aircadetresource.com gone

Anyone heard what has happened to this?

The server response times were abysmal for ages and now it looks like the site has been taken down

Shame, it’s a good resource!

Note that some of their content is still available at [url]https://www.facebook.com/AirCadetResources/photos_stream[/url]. Weren’t we all told via ACC that the site had been purchased by a motivated entrepreneur??

A great loss if they’re totally offline forever (goskinny.co.uk also seems to have gone).

I donated cash a few times to help them out, but I’m not sure how much more they got in the way of contributions.

Come back Skinny Omelet, where have you gone? :huh: His Flikr feed is still at [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnyomelet/sets/72157623375119133/[/url]

wilf_san

I believe the gentleman concerned is now no longer associated with the ACO.

Shame, I donated too, wish I had taken the time to download all the resources and saved for later use

Ah, but there may be ways…I haven’t checked all the Wayback Engine capture samples yet, but some of their content may be mirrored elsewhere automatically.

I did locate this http://web.archive.org/web/20120623215650/http://www.aircadetresource.com/downloads/crests/, just as an example, but it doesn’t appear to drill-down further than one level. There will be others.

Their content might also be sitting in someone’s proxy…will keep my eyes open for it (copyright limitations permitting…but, some of us most certainly did donate, which would give some entitlement to reuse the content under fair use)

wilf_san

I actually pre-empted this and saved a lot of the content. Will post it ASAP.

Edit: This is what I have. I’ll make a friendlier interface at some point, as only a file listing is provided at the moment.

http://www.cadetwise.net/acr_mirror/

was it ACR.com that was the invention of Dan, who then went to work for HQAC - or have i got that wrong…?

All,

I have archived and presented the files we have so far from ACR.

http://aircadetcentral.net/acc/2013-12-02-19-01-35/gallery

As I don’t have any form of permission from the Owner to distribute these, they may not last long.

But in the interests of keeping this excellent resource alive I have placed them here until an agreement can be finalised.

Pleases do not download these images they are for reference only.

If anyone has any more they wish to add please let me know.

regards

DJ

Just to confirm, this is true.

[quote=“djrice” post=9560]All,

I have archived and presented the files we have so far from ACR.

http://aircadetcentral.net/acc/gallery[/quote]

Is anyone else getting a 404 error? I’m assuming that it’s been taken down, rather than a random problem.

nope, that’s an error…

looking…

[update]

the link in my post was wrong! here is the link, and it is available under the Resources menu at the top.

ACR Gallery

cheers

DJ

Ah, super!
I just thought I’d missed the boat.

Thank you!

I know it’s been a while since the last post, but does anyone know whether this site will ever be resurrected, and does anyone know the owner so we could at least get some more of the content online again? I also donated, and used it a few years ago to cover my Squadron in the posters they had, but would like some new ones.

The link provided for some of the material on here no longer works… :frowning:

Would be great if it could be put back online!

[quote=“tkg” post=18648]I know it’s been a while since the last post, but does anyone know whether this site will ever be resurrected, and does anyone know the owner so we could at least get some more of the content online again? I also donated, and used it a few years ago to cover my Squadron in the posters they had, but would like some new ones.

The link provided for some of the material on here no longer works… :frowning:

Would be great if it could be put back online![/quote]

I tried to contact the content owner a few times, through a variety of methods. Unfortunately I had no reply through any of them.

My low-tech mirror is still online, although it’s mostly just the uniform illustrations and a few other bits. They’re in ZIP files so you’d have to download and extract them.

www.cadetwise.net/acr_mirror/

I still have quite a lot of the images from acr. But the gallery is currently misbehaving!

Hopefully after I do a site upgrade the content will be available again.

As for acr itself, I too tried to contact the owner but with no reply.

Cheers,

DJ

I have quite a few of the images saved as we used them on our Sqn website. I’ve got all the rank, classification and proficiency badges as well as the uniform figures. If any one needs anything drop me a PM and I’ll see if I have it.

MB

I have now obtained the above domain, together with some other close domain names in order to resurrect this resource once more.

I have as yet got no reply to messages left in various places regards the original content to address the issue of copyright.

The aim will is to build a wide range of resources, to help others and prevent repeated inventions of the dam wheel :mad: we see in the corps generally.

Its to include not just images as previously, but also lesson plans possibly, power points, posters and anything that will help staff within cadets. Also to expand it a bit, so the resources also apply to the ACF (Stop coughing or shouting please) but they have similar problems and in the need we are all doing something with young people to keep them of the streets. :S

What I really need is to establish what people want on the site first?

Also to help start a team of designers to continue the graphics side.

Having been in cadets for over 25 years I have stacks of material ranging from CMOI (Cadet Method of instruction) resources above the standard issue, plenty of exercises scenarios and of course command tasks… I am still in cadets as a officer serving with a squadron in Trent Wing.

If anyone is willing to help, so much the better. I have no plan at present on how to issue the resources, but downloads will be limited per day, per user and registration would be required.

As for payment, not sure. Donations likely, payment for graphics or resources produced, not too sure. I know how much an hour they charge :?: :?:

So suggestions please on this, I plan only to cover expenses, I have my own hosting through a friends servers that I pay for each month, so I need to cover this.

Beyond that as usual with us all, staff members in cadets will not make any of us rich.

I have the time to do the site every day, as I am unable to work - long story - but I do have cancer - but I plan on doing this as a long term project.

Please feel free to input ideas etc. Thanks

[quote=“lippylion” post=18998]I have now obtained the above domain, together with some other close domain names in order to resurrect this resource once more.

…[/quote]

Sounds like a brilliant idea. I think the most important thing is ease of navigation (ie. it shouldn’t become a resource dump).

For example, when uploading a standard-but-modified presentation, the submitter should have to explain how it’s different from the standard one and why people would want to use it.

I can help with web design and hosting if required (I have a free charity account with a large UK web host, approved for any air cadet use, that comes with 10GB storage and 150GB bandwidth).

Thanks for the reponse, hopefully more to come soon. May take you up on the web deisgn help. I shall wait a week or so before doing anything, currently trying to chase down the original author of some of the work.