Air Rifle CLF syllabus

Can I ask the hive mind what do most cadets / squadrons progress to on the Air Rifle CLF syllabus ?

Personnel with a good set up I can get all done upto and including CLF 7, on various parade nights with skilled firers that want to learn. But in the whole every cadet does IWT/WHT and CLF1 as an introduction and to see if the cadets enjoy it.

It depends what your set up is and whether you have the space and skill set to do it.

Mostly we go 1-4, but this is due to parade timings, range and wpn availability, and having sufficient cadets ready to progress onto CLF7.

We could however do CLF1-4 & 7 if required.

3 Likes

Very similar.

CLF1-4 in the main. The other practices are heavy on range time.

The trouble with progressing onwards from CLF3 is that it is necessary to re-zero rifles with cadets. This adds another time element to the range logistics.

In the good old days (sigh) you could at least shoot for different badge levels on the same detail - the practice was the same, but the scoring was different. You could also have cadets shoot for “fun” rather than have to move on with the CLF elements. For example, some cadets can group very well for CLF1, but struggle with one of the positional aspects in CLF2, so they shouldn’t progress to CLF3. However, because they can group (prone) very well, they should be able to pass CLF3 easily. I appreciate that effectively the badge level at CLF3 “incorporates” CLF2, but at time, it doesn’t help their morale / desire to continue.

2 Likes

This why we have pretty much moved to not using the range on parade nights and trying to organise days at weekends.
Largeish Sqn with smallish staff, the range is too resource intensive for the number of cadets who benefit from it in an evening

We are relatively lucky in that we have a good number of classrooms for teaching when the main hall is in use as the range. Same for staff & staff cadet availability - although we do sometimes run range days (this Weds) separate from parade evenings - but again, it’s more staff time to take into account.

Woo hoo, some less experienced cadets withdrew from tonight’'s shooting event = chance to give more range time to some experienced shots = CLF7 done with some silver badges to come. :slight_smile:

How do you track the progress of each of your cadets?

I have a spreadsheet that i use as a Butt Register, with all the CLF practices, and their scores as they achieve them.

So when i get certain cadets sign up, i know that cadet Bloggs, Smith and Jones, need to do CLF3, and the rest need to do CLF1.

Yes I rely on the power of Excel. Keep the scores which when I put them in turn red or green to show pass/fail - makes it a lot easier to plan shoot when i can see who needs to do what

Also why I tend to shoot weekends and not parade nights except during holidays when numbers are low

I do somewhere, but as I know Bader is up to date ( only me updating shooting logs / qualifications, I tend to use the Bader system under “Cadets” for a specific shooting event - I can see / print out what I need.

Also, as per last night, there were 2 cadets who withdrew last thing (when I was driving to Sqn!) & there was last minute availability of a different cadet. Those firing were all members of our 2 shooting teams, so I knew they were up to CLF5 without looking.

Again, on the evening, I’ll adjust “who shoots what” depending on CLF level & any gap since a cadet shot - no point not using say a CLF1 space on the range for someone to requal. Also, with the change of badge designation, I’ll re-qual those (if range space is available) for CLF3 so that they can get a nice shiny bronze badge. :wink:

I need to check - I think CCRS run a simple AR postal shoot = within the specification to get gold badge?? Anyone done this yet?