Air Defender - New Game

Hi all,

Hope this is a good place to drop this info! :slight_smile:

Ive been watching a game develop called Air Defender by an ex-RAF service member and its about to hit early access on Steam during December. It looks pretty fun :slight_smile:

“Step into the RAF ops room — take the chair as an Identification Officer or Weapons Controller. Build the picture, scramble QRA, and own the intercept.”

Wanted to share here as all the coverage it can get im sure will help them, plus looks great for those Cadets interested in this sector to have some fun with and help with feedback as it evolves!

Website: https://airdefendergame.com/

Discord: Air Defender

Can’t wait for the release!

9 Likes

Following! Sounds like a cracking way to introduce cadets to a role in the service, especially if we don’t need to train people up specifically to help run it. :ok_hand:t2:

4 Likes

Absolutely! I understand they have been able to get permission to use historic track data for the senarios and users should be able to use the game easily with the in built warmups.
If you spot it on Steam add it to wishlists! :slight_smile:

Will post here again once I see the Demo is out :ok_hand:

1 Like

Noticed they have a GoFundMe out to support the development, currently at £2,880 of a £3.5K target with 126 donations.

2 Likes

Early access is now available on Steam, earlier than I thought :star_struck: , £19.99 a small contribution for something that looks great fun. Just off to download myself :ok_hand:

1 Like

I’ve just been playing the tutorials for the last 45 mins, and I have to say……it melted my brain cell.

I’ve had the same, need a second sitting! it’s early access so worth dropping them feedback.

I found not knowing if a commands been sent a little unnerving so will drop that to them.

I think there will be full guided tutorials on the full release.

Hey guys, been lots of updates since the start of this discussion. Always happy to talk if you have any questions. Might have seen some of you at Cosford Airshow in Hangar 4.

4 Likes

I’m the flight/gliding and gaming person on our sqn, had 3-4 cadets ask about this and I think it’s beyond my brain’s capabilities. I only know all my flight sim stuff cos I’ve been doing it for 15 or more years.

I’d love to have this on sqn but for me with my brain fog, I fear I may struggle.

@ROTOR3 ’s tutorials on TikTok and YouTube are really good - that’s how I learned beyond the initial tutorial :grinning_face:

I really like it (we’ve exchanged emails).

The one thing I haven’t quite got down is every aircraft click bringing up or getting rid of extra info. It’s a bit knacks and I need to properly learn how to only retain extra detail when I want it (and not have every click change that state).

I’ve had feedback from people who love it and people who find it a bit too procedural and slow / routine (perhaps a caveat of “at this stage of development).

That said, I see its primary value as a way to explore a RAF career. Then for those who enjoy it, hopefully a way to generate input for inter-flight competitions.

So it’s ok if some don’t like it for that reason because I suppose that’s likely a huge part of the actual job?

1 Like