Air Cadet Pilot Scheme

Hiya,

I’ve recently been accepted onto the ACPS (Air Cadet Pilot Scheme). If anyone here has attended this course, may you give me a brief outline of how it is, what to expect etc.

Thank you in advance.

Surely you looked into it before applying?
I have cadets who would love this opportunity. They have done their research, prepped for it, applied for it (twice) and been rejected (twice).
You are a very lucky person, and not knowing much about it is a shame when others are so keen!

1 Like

I believe you’ve misinterpreted my question. I have done ample amounts of research into what its about, flying hours etc. What I was asking about was how the day is structured etc, as of course these are not evident in any publications/forms given or those I could find myself.

1 Like

It sounds like a reasonable request to me. the literature can only give a rough idea of what is involved, but getting in touch with recent attendees can provide insights that can be vaulable and help students prepare more fully.

It could even be little stuff like “bring a chinagraph pencil” or “avoid the coffee”

1 Like

Yes, I was attempting to achieve this in my question, I guess I couldn’t convey it very well!

Sometimes it seems that the default setting for some posters here is “butt-hurt”

6 Likes

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/511662-air-cadet-pilot-scheme-dundee.html

What region and wing are you?

hi, did my course in October 2017, really good two weeks despite the rain.
Tayside bus leaves from the hotel at 8:15 in the morning I think, don’t be late, I speak from experience. First day consists of form filling and a tour of tayside and probably one sortie (about 1 hour). there is a theory lesson before most sorties and you get shown how to do a walk around on the first day. you will have to do these yourselves so make sure that you listen. Each evening you will have to cover all the aircraft and depending on conditions tie them down, the senior course will show you how to do this. you will spend most of your time in the cadet hut so you will have time on your hands to learn the material for the short pre-solo exam, you get given all the relevant books. the exam is really not too hard as long as you learn the material. Make sure you are prepared for each sortie, don’t hesitate to ask your instructor if you are struggling with anything. The cadet CFI was my instructor, he is a great instructor, he can be harsh but for good reason. make sure you admire the graffiti in the cadet hut. Make sure you get your sandwich toasted I didn’t realise for the first few days(lunch is from the airport cafe and is included in the course) and the heater in the hut is not good for toasting sandwiches incase your desparate during the weekends when the cafe is closed. Also avoid the carrot and coconut soup at the hotel, to quote one of my course mates: ‘this tastes like absolute doga**e’. oh and don’t do anything stupid or you will be on a megabus home.

3 Likes

Thank you for the insight. I will definetly keep these points in mind.

Also to add to @willymac’s points above: the JIs tell you to try to source a flying suit. I managed to borrow one for our chap from the local AEF. I asked the flight commander politely if it might be possible and he had a word with the squippers. I had to sign for it as they are expensive if you don’t return it but they were very willing.
The advantage of this approach is the flying suit will be serviceable and relatively new. Anything you buy online is of uncertain provenance.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the course flys on the weekend?

yes it does

Hiya

Just have another question regarding what aircraft are flown. I’ve read in different places that the Aquila a211 is flown, however I’ve also seen places where they said they’ve flown the Piper Warrior. So is it do you get to fly both, or is the course with the Warrior a different one. For reference I am doing the Air Cadet Light Aircraft Course (ACLAC).

Regards

Aquila for ACPS; Warrior for the Sir Michael Knight Pilot Scholarship (the complete PPL topup course available to a small number of the best ACPS students - like @willymac…)

depends on the weight of the student, heavier students may go in the warrior

How did you find that out?

When you mean heavier, how heavy are we talking?

With full fuel, the combined weight of the pilot and passenger can be no more than around 170Kg.
I am not doing the weights and balance calcs on it though.

Dry weight is 500Kg and MTOW/MLAW is 750Kg. It holds up to 110Litres of 100LL which gives about 5 hours endurance. I don’t know the seat limits but you could take less fuel and fatter passengers so long as the CofG remains within limits. I don’t know what Tayside Aviations rules dictate.

The hourly rate on the warrior is going to be higher.

1 Like