Air Cadet Pilot Sceme

More money than sense (learning to fly outta somewhere like Shoreham) or in something like a cirrus. :face_vomiting:

Find somewhere that doesn’t charge you per landing

3 Likes

Sounds like L3 prices!

Actually it is :rofl: (well maybe law is the wrong word, but certainly regulations)

FCL.215 - Syllabus of Training

Linky

But we digress

1 Like

Well blow me down and ■■■■■■ me sideways… that’s new to me.

Wernt like that in my day…

Lessons 1-22 ending in skills test…

NVM.

Lesson 14 / 15.

Same diff. Either way unless they have got more money than sense, it ain’t happening… even then… it still ain’t…

Not til they’re 16!

But they never listen.

1 Like

£6 per hour cheaper than where I teach :wink: and they still want to charge you more

If you have the finances then by all means crack on and get the hours in but you won’t get your first solo much quicker as you still need to be 16 for that. The ACPS takes you to solo standard in just two weeks so my advice would be to apply for the ACPS course and get your first 12 hours free (which would cost you in the region of £2000 to do privately) and then use your own funds to build on that and/or apply for one of the top up scholarships which take you up to a full PPL. Bear in mind that once you have achieved a PPL you need to fly a certain number of hours to keep your type rating current - it’s a rather expensive hobby.

MB

3 Likes

@izzyexistent there are also numerous other scholarships available (not all of which require you to be 16 to apply), a quick search of the forum for flying scholarships will bring them to your attention.

1 Like

It’s a bit easier (cheaper) now that you can use 3-axis microlights towards your 12hrs to maintain your rating by currency.

Or you could consider an NPPL for microlights.

As indicated by others prices are not cheap for PPL and £10k is not a good starting point for PPL
I never considered it would be within my grasp…and then someone mentioned microlights and I was away…for the same £10k I had license and share in an aircraft.

The NPPL is fewer hours (25) as a minimum. Cheaper to fly either in renting or purchase of aircraft. Often cheaper landing fees and certainly cheaper running costs not just when considering fuel.
Pick a C42 and you’ve got near C152 performance figure’s with perhaps a compromise on available luggage capacity (but realistically how often will you be flying with an weeks holiday bag to notice?) but there are a few others to choose for similar flying or go the other way and accept simpler and slower aircraft if all you want to achieve is getting in the air

The ACPS is one of the most prestigious courses RAFAC offers and it is competitive to get on.

There is no guarantee that you would be awarded a place at 16 - When I’ve had cadets interested in the course in the past I have always made this clear and asked what their backup plan is if unsuccessful. Those that truly are committed will say ‘I’ll work in the cafe at the airfield’ or ‘I’ll volunteer to wash aircraft’ in order to raise funds. They may be already doing so.

If you (or your parents) can afford the £10K+ for a pilot licence then go ahead, but be mindful that saying you’ll “just do it” is not an option for the majority and so be careful of being seen as arrogant.

6 Likes

Izzy

As the CFI of a flying school, I’d say wait.

You will waste money starting at 14.

When we get people wanting to start at 14, we advise no more than one lesson every 6 months until 16 as more doesn’t get you anywhere. You just need more and more revision until you can go solo. Also, the ground exams start a clock ticking.

The one lesson every six months (at most) is to keep up interest and motivation, but achieves little else.

Save your money and be patient. Far better to be able to do all 45 hours in a six month block at age 16. That’s the most cost effective way to achieve a PPL, and intensive is the ONLY way to do in in 45 hours. Spreading it out costs a fortune as every lesson turns into revision.

4 Likes

If you just want to fly you might want to consider gliding as it’s much cheaper, including after qualifying.

3 Likes

And remember if your location is near an RAFGSA club they may well be slightly cheaper for both memebership and flying fees :wink:

And for any adult volunteers they usually welcome you with open arms and uniformed CFAV usually qualify for service membership which, especaially for anyone over 25, is ridiculously cheap

that made my day, thanks

1 Like

izzyexistent,

Why not visit your local flying club and speak to a Flying Instructor? You will find that qualifying for a PPL really is not cheap and you could spend an awful lot of money keeping in check whilst waiting for suitable weather for a test. You will also find that the CAA rules are quite strict and there’s a lot more to flying than simply controlling an aeroplane, like dealing with emergencies, navigating (including flight planning) , communicating, and being able to develop a picture of air traffic around you and where you want to go (situational awareness). There’ also Ground School with examinations and these have to completed within set periods of relevant tests. One thing you might do is take a Trial Flight. You’ll get to handle the controls and you’ll find out if you really like flying. Some people are prone to airsickness.

Even when you qualify, to keep your licence you have fly at least 12 hours a year, at least one with an instructor, and Clubs won’t let you fly without a check ride if have not flown in the last 28 days. Be assured, flying is expensive, but do not give up, it is fun and challenging!

1 Like

pedant mode on
During months 13 - 24 of your single engine piston rating, ie: 12hrs during the 2nd year of the rating.
pedant mode off

Edit: I stopped in the middle of a 5km run to correct my own pedantry :joy:

do you mind sending them to me. i’m not sure where to look?

Sounds like a good idea. I’ll go talk to them.

Have a look at this forum post

Flying Scholarships

Several UK flight schools offer a “full” PPL cse of 45 hrs for about £10K - however, they emphasise that the average is about 55 hrs to complete successfully, so circa 10 hrs @ £200 / hr = another £2K. Add on lots of travel costs too - unless the airfield is on your doorstep.

As no solo until aged 16 yrs (& licence at 17 yrs old) with subsequent “high density” syllabus flights thereafter, it’s probably not worth wasting money on building up flt hrs much before that age. Continuity is very important, otherwise you will waste (expensive) trg time refreshing what you did a month or more previously.

Also the option to perhaps go for an extended cse (4-5 wks, with accommodation) somewhere like Florida, used to be a very comparable price in US$. Much, much better weather factor & associated continuity.

1 Like