Advice would be appreciated...Promotion time

After achieving my Leading Classification on Monday I am finally eligible for a promotion.
What do you have to suggest that help my chances. Currently, according to several of our squadrons NCOs I am one of two contenders for Cpl.

Trust is not an issue as I regularly do the register for signing in/out and I am trusted to keep cadets in line when needed.

Thank you in advance

Repeatedly the advice is get involved, be yourself (ie don’t copy or try to imitate others) and ensure your personal dress is always up to scratch. Then if your staff think you are worthy it will come.

Just because you have gained a badge doesn’t automatically make you promotable.

Ignore lists that say you must do this, this and this. Fortunately we haven’t degenerated into the nonsense tick list / matrix attitude for staff promotion for cadets … yet. Although there are staff out there who like to hide behind a notion of this idea as they lack the experience and guile, to make personal judgements.

I’ve seen cadets who have ascended the exam system and are not promotable. But your opening gambit would mean that they should at least be Cpl.

2 Likes

Cdt Cornew,

All the advice I have is just to be yourself. If you’re of the appropriate classification then everything else will happen when it should.

If your staff know you (& I know your staff, without trying to sound weird), they will know your strengths & weaknesses. They will know where they feel you may need to develop more, and where you are already doing what they expect from a Cpl.

Just relax, and it will happen when it happens. Enjoy being on your Sqn and not having responsibilities. Because when you do get promoted, you will have several responsibilities, be it canteen, stores, sports, attendance or whatever.

Make the most of being on the Sqn without any extra pressure. Then demonstrate you can deal with any additional responsibility you’re given. Ensure it is done without fail every night you’re in charge of it. That way you can’t be criticised for it, and can demonstrate your ability to lead an activity/parade night.

Good luck, we wish you well.

Half a year later…

A vacancy has opened up for JNCO. With a rather exciting notice on the board. I have submitted my letter of interest and am now eagerly awaiting a response.

I have one more question, In a JNCO potential interview, what questions are usually asked?

There’s no set format, as it’s a local thing.

Just assume that it will be similar to any job interview: knowledge about the role and the organisation, what you’ve done in the past and what you can bring to the role.

Know what RISE stands for… Read up on what was ACP1. Not sure what it is now.

Respect Integrity Service before self Excellence

1 Like

Any update?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.