Adventure Training Qualifications for Cadets

Adventure Training in my wing doesn’t really happen, and our squadron doesn’t run it, so I want to find a way to bring some AT to my cadets. Are there any courses I can do seperate to the corps that would allow me to help run some courses?

How old are you? The answer sort of relies on that.

1 Like

What kind of AT are you thinking?

Walking/hiking/climbing wise, Mountain Training UK are the national governing body and run the relevant courses. You can do a lot of the courses through the RAFAC (if eligible).
The same goes for other sports, with their NGB.

It’s quite easy to get started on, if you’re competent.

16 at the minute, I’m not sure how much I’d be eligible for.

Paddlesport Instructor would be a great shout; you can complete this from age 14. As it’s a deployed qualification, you’d have to work under a higher qualified coach initially and wouldn’t be able to just run sessions on your own - so you’d need to know someone in a nearby Sqn who is qualified.

Generally with most qualifications, whilst you can access the training before you are 18 you can’t actually become solely responsible for other people and use the qualification until you are actually 18.

1 Like

Indoor Climbing Assistant would be another to look at, which you can do from 16. Again you need to work with a fully qualified instructor but you’d add a lot to the sessions and enable a lot more climbing to be done. There are a few ICA courses running in some Regions at the moment.

1 Like