Adventure training camp fairborne April?

Hey all, I’ve been selected as a reserve to go on the fairborne adventure training camp in April, someone from my sqn might drop out so I’ll get the place. This will be my first residential trip with cadets so im wondering what it’s like if anyone’s been on it before? How does it work for accommodation, transport etc and generally how does it go with the activities? I’ve only been in cadets for about 7 months

I’ll also be the only person from my sqn there, is it easy to make friends from other sqns? I’m honestly pretty excited since there’s mtn biking, bouldering etc

My son did Fairbourne and described it as one of his favourite camps.

Food was plentiful, activities included a couple of hikes, mountain biking and canoeing.

You’re not expected to be super fit - but the activities do require a bit of fitness - you will sleep well each night!

Make sure you have everything on the kit list - and especially make sure you’ve got waterproofs - and that you can wear them comfortably over the top of your clothing and still walk / cycle!

Problem solving / team building indoors in the evenings will keep you busy!

You’ll have a great time- oh and don’t forget hat and gloves!

3 Likes

Fairbourne (and Windermere) are in my opinion the best camps we do! I am biased though as I live AT.

Accommodation is small-ish shared rooms. Fairbourne has a nice big dining hall for morning and evening meals. Transport will likely be by coach, organised by your Wing.

Making friends on these kind of camps is arguably one of the best bits. You normally only get 1 or 2 cadets from each squadron so it’s a great opportunity to meet others from around the Wing!

Given the camp is in April, there are probably already joining instructions available for it. If your friend is going to drop out they would do it sooner rather than later to allow their replacement (you!) to have time to get the information you need.

2 Likes

There’s a Staffs Wing video on Fairbourne here: Staffordshire Wing Adventure Training Camp - Fairbourne 2019 | This year’s AT Camp video from Fairbourne. A fantastic camp with a great range of activities, this video is a celebration of our week at National Air... | By Staffordshire Wing Adventure Training Team | Facebook

2 Likes