Advancing In The Comms Badge

My comms badge is going brilliantly, apart from one small snag. I only have to do the VHF/UHF Operator part and that will be done next Saturday, and also the ‘Advanced Radio and Radar’ module. As I understand it to pass this I need to do the exam on BADER for Senior. The problem is I can’t take that exam for another 4 months! Is there a way to bypass this? Thanks all!

Why can’t you do it for another 4 months?

I need to wait 6 months before I can take the Senior exam as I only passed Leading in February…

Who told you that?

Thats not true, you can take the Satellite Comms and Advanced Radar/Radio exam at anytime as long as it is for the Air Cadet communicator bade, however whether you will be allowed to claim it for your classification later is up to your training officer at Wing.

If there are problems getting it on UltiLearn then your Sqn staff can request the Paper exam vi the Wing Radio officer.

The PowerPoint presentation ‘20130212-Comms_Badge_Overview - U’ which can be found on BADER SharePoint (HQ Air Cadets > ACO Document Library > Activities > Training > Radio) states:

[quote]Advanced Radio & Radar … can be taken at any time by any cadet for the purposes of the Communicator Qualification.
The Corps Training Officer has stated that if an exam is taken on Ultilearn then it will count for both Communicator Badge Module and Classification. If taken early the pass can still be counted when the cadet is ready for that classification. [/quote]

So, my understanding is that you can take Advanced Radio & Radar now. Of course, you can’t actually become a Senior Cadet for another 4 months (and passed another two exam subjects).

Good luck pursuading your Squadron staff…

Thanks all, my adjutant who is sorting it all for me tried to register me for the exam and it wouldn’t let him, I assume it was greyed out. Is there a separate exam that is from the same question database but has no time limit? Thanks

Who told you that?

Thats not true, you can take the Satellite Comms and Advanced Radar/Radio exam at anytime as long as it is for the Air Cadet communicator bade, however whether you will be allowed to claim it for your classification later is up to your training officer at Wing.

[color=#ff0000]If there are problems getting it on UltiLearn then your Sqn staff can request the Paper exam vi the Wing Radio officer[/color].[/quote]

Goodness your not going to get far as a communicator if you cant read what has been written for you are you… see above

Ah sorry. Is it at all possible to take it on Ultilearn before August? Thanks.

Who told you that?

[color=#ff0000]If there are problems getting it on UltiLearn then your Sqn staff can request the Paper exam vi the Wing Radio officer[/color].[/quote]

Goodness your not going to get far as a communicator if you cant read what has been written for you are you… see above[/quote]

As stted before have your staff speak direct with the Wing Radio Officer…what wing are you in?

Plymouth and Cornwall

I still cannot see any rational as to why jacob44 cannot sit his/her Adv Radio & Radar assessment before August; the only age stipulation on assessments is at MAC level. There is no stipulation on time between classification or individual subjects, only someone, somewhere, putting in limits on cadets.

Its down to staff allocating an assessment to a cadet.

[quote=“romeo bravo” post=6475]I still cannot see any rational as to why jacob44 cannot sit his/her Adv Radio & Radar assessment before August; the only age stipulation on assessments is at MAC level. There is no stipulation on time between classification or individual subjects, only someone, somewhere, putting in limits on cadets.

Its down to staff allocating an assessment to a cadet.[/quote]

I agree I believe there may be some sort of MY TRAIN SET going on, as far as Im aware the minimum requirement for the Air Cadet Communicator badge is passing the Basic Radio with radios part of the first class sylabus folowing hat the cadet can choose any of the remaining modules and it is written somewhwere I cant place at the moment ACP44/45 that both the Satelite Comms and advanced Radio and Radar exam can be taken at any time as part of these module choices.

If there is an issue via the ultilearn then there is an option for the Paper tests to be used I do not know your WRCO however it will be his place to best brief you on how you should proceed or to discuss the issue on your behalf with the HQAC Radio Officer

Both subjects can be taken any time for the communicators badge - escalate to your WRO if you are being quoted other rules.

I’m amazed how the VHF comms can be done in one day?

It took two saturdays and two friday evening sessions to do all the procedures in the then ACP44. Usually 15 mins briefing then a good practical session. Basic message format is usually the one that everyone finds tricky.

Thanks all for the replies.

It was the provisional course only, my mistake.

Glad you mentioned that.
Good luck with it - much needed comms badge cadets on squadrons to teach at least basic comms.