Adult SNCOs and headdress

You just haven’t met the right ones. :wink:

I can see a request to bring back battledress forthcoming!

Shawbury 1987 Fg Off W James seen in No1s with forage cap - he had lost his SD he said…
Now AVM James AOC 22 GP………

Give it a go, see what happens

1 Like

Hate berets. Whoever suggested they wish officers could wear berets… have a word. :joy:

1 Like

Try having satellite dish ears, you will understand then. At least the beret covers one of them, the hat just makes them look much worse :joy:

3 Likes

Ahh fair play mate, but berets aren’t my thing!

I miss my beret. But to be fair I miss my lanyard more.

1 Like

Wear a sash instead? :wink:

And why not?

1 Like

For the haters!

this was a mock up photo (identity of the guilty hidden) taken as a wide up for the WWO…!

7 Likes

Looks pretty cool to me.

They need to be waaaay farther over. So far over that the only thing keeping them from gravity’s embrace is the copious amounts of spiffing brylcreem locking them down.

4 Likes

I’d have thought that the badly placed ATC and VRT pins would be wind-up enough… :wink:

It’s the top buttons that are the annoying part :wink:

1 Like

I imagine that’s part of the retro look.

It only now occurs to me that this is an obvious statement.

1 Like

Top button undone was a fighter command affectation. I remember my Grandfather telling me many years ago.

Similar to bomber command and jumpers I assume

I’m going to start wearing a beret in blues. See how long it takes to upset certain people who are part of the P-SAS Brigade.

6 Likes

Tell us how it goes.

Some further theories on this…

Although the DPC appears again to have officially-declined this beret option recently for anyone other than RAF Regt Offrs, I strongly-suspect that what happened around 1952 (not yet tracked it down) was the enshrinement of an error in the dress regulations.

If anyone has a 1950s-era edition of AP1358 (back when it was JUST the dress regulations for the officer cadre of the Royal Air Force, its Auxiliaries & Reserves) I think a careful check in between sequential Amendment List ‘X’ and Amendment List ‘X+n’ would show that that the actual intention was that regular Air Force Officers who were required to always wear SD Peaked Caps in No2 dress / War Service BDs, following the withdrawal of ISSUED forage/field service/side-caps, and the ISSUE of berets.

Part of the proof of this theory is found in the wartime ‘Flight’ newspaper cuttings I published, where RAFVR(Training) Officers are bemoaning the fact that they were not allowed to wear SD Peak Caps on parade (unlike regulars) and stating their strong dislike of forage caps.

It should also be borne in mind that the ‘core corps’ of the RAF Regt at it’s inception was the RAFVR(RAF Regt) - again, I have posted the 1942 newspaper cuttings that support this fact.

Officers in Air Force Auxiliary, Reserve and other non-regular formations commonly were expected to wear forage caps or berets in No1 HSD and No2 BD, with SD peaks being either a dissuaded secondary option or outright disallowed.

At some point (I’ll guesstimate 1954) Officers in the RAuxAF, the RAFVR (plus, the WRAuxAF, WRAFVR etc) appear to have won parity with regulars for headgear entitlement. But the then AP1358 appears to have gone too far, totally-removing the option of wearing an undress hat with an undress uniform (ie FULLY copying the style of regulars).

From that point onwards, only the RAF Regt clung on to the beret-in-undress-blues-option for Offrs, because of (as stated above) their RAFVR conscript collective origins. They got it right (as did Offrs in the ROC, as per AP3306)…non-regular air force officers NOT in No1 dress, the primary head-dress was beret or forage cap, SD peak caps were a secondary option. Conversely, regular air force officers in blues, the primary head-dress in blues was to be SD peaks, with forage caps as an option, but berets were not really fully-encouraged for regular Offrs until the early versions of No3 OGs

Put it another way (this is an over-simplification…but): berets in field uniforms have no significance as to cohort. Berets in dress or semi-dress uniform originally indicated non-regular personnel. Peaked caps (Army & Air Force) used to signify/indicate regular service personnel.

And then things became mixed-up…

6 Likes