ACTO35

Well there is an interesting FOI response to this. I can’t link because I’m viewing it on a PC and typing this on my phone, but it seems to suggest that although no final decisions have been reached, the initial opinion is that the duty of care element would be satisfied if the air worthiness and operating standards of the non service aircraft comply with any of the following regulatory regimes:

EASA - hire and reward use
CAA - annex II - hire and reward use
Light Aircraft Association - hire and reward use
BGA

However British microlight aircraft Association regimes need further clarity.

For operating standards, at the time of the FOI request they were still waiting for a response from BMAA and BGA, but that in theory the following meet the duty of care standard:
ATPL
Commercial pilots licence
EASA PPL and FI rating

They aim to have a response by 22grp by “Q2/3 2020”.

the phrase “hire and reward use” is an interesting one.

although i appreciate that is imposed on the aircraft, to be used in a such a state the pilot would need a ATPL, CPL or be Flight Instructor as only those persons are able to use their licence “for hire or reward”

the pilot off the street/friend of the unit, could not be a pilot in that case and would mean a unit approaching their local gliding/flying club would be restricted to the FI pilots only…

i am jumping the gun i know as what pEp has quote is about aircraft rather than pilot capability

I am not sure what difference makes an aircraft suitable for “hire and reward” over “private use”

This one??

Looking at the Annexes, I cannot see any really “new” information, although the suggestion:

…so long as requesting organisations could demonstrate compliance with civilian airworthiness and operating standards for regimes that satisfy the duty of care requirements to be met by AOC 22 Gp, as detailed at Annexes A and B to this note.

That would suggest a flying club (powered aircraft) & hopefully BGA.

This has NOT been a new concept - it was suggested more than 4+ yrs ago; to take them until Q2/3 2020 to agree to this, is a ridiculous timeframe. Moreover, even Q3 will drastically reduce (weather factors) the flying opportunities. Realistically, it will probably will shift to Q4 = another year lost for “ACTO35” flying opportunities. :rage:

Maybe it isn’t new but I certainly hadn’t seen any of the dealings before, other than that RAFGSA clubs were ok.

From my interpretation, OCs 2 and 6 FTS are in agreement but need AOC 22grp to rubber stamp it. I could be miles off because the documents are redacted and I’m just speculating, but at least if they are on board that’s a step in the right direction (and a significant improvement from the previous incumbent of 2TFS).

I’m not an expert on the LAA regime but for EASA aircraft, it’s a Public Transport C of A instead of a Private C of A. More maintenance, basically, and more of the maintenance based on time and cycles not condition, e.g. engine can’t be run beyond TBO ‘on condition’ on a PT C of A.

1 Like

ahh ok thanks for explanation

TBH given the article yesterday we have to have something, so hopefully we get given the go ahead. Someone within the hallowed halls has to see it has to be almost getting to the point where we shouldn’t really have the word “air” in our name.

I pinged our R Av Off, to express my incredulity & extreme displeasure. :wink: No knowledge known on any timescale for ACTO35 “replacement” / enhancement. I really can see this dragging on & on; it should be very simple - if any proposed flying / gliding is to be conducted by an “approved” organisation (e.g. flying school / club under CAA auspices, or, BGA) - crack on.

We can but hope. But yep because of the ramifications of having this working in out in our favour this will drag on with the hope we get bored asking about it.

1 Like

It’s not just our flying that MOD seems to want to kill…

“You can have ACTO35, but you can’t have anywhere to take it!”

Interesting how the MoD says civilian flying must stop, don’t what the arrangement is, but that seems to be the MoD getting ahead of themselves… Pity someone doesn’t come up big on the lottery buy the land, charge a peppercorn rent to the flyting club and give the MoD the bird.

So, what is the latest with this farce? Have we made any progress since ex-OC2FTS has departed?

@MikeJenvey you seem like a man in the know…

In a very short word - no! Last direct contact I had with the sponsor at 2FTS was end of Oct 2020. Might have to rattle their cage in the very near future…

VoV update on this.

I’ll be interested to see if they have a change of heart using BGA clubs. Fingers crossed!

It’s an update from @MikeJenvey, who is requesting an update from 2FTS seeing as we haven’t heard from them since September.

The reply says they’ll have announcements in the new year…

I doubt it.

I remember being at a conference in 2017ish where CAC assured us that they were “just dotting the Is and crossing the Ts” on ACTO 35…

I think the long and the short of it is that there is so little appetite for risk that it will never be released.

2 Likes

I aim to please……:wink:

Might rattle 2FTS’ cage too. :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

IBN005 - 2022 has just underlined that for you. ACTO35 looks very dead.

But it’s OK, because we’ve got Space, Cyber, Aeronautics and Engineering scholarships to really excite the 8 cadets we have left nationally.

3 Likes