ACTO35

Perhaps, but it would be nice to be up-dated, even for WIP - projected timescale, hurdles to be overcome, etc.

The problem is whatever is released gets inflated by the rumour mill. That’s already happened with some planned changes (‘we would like to’ becomes ‘we are going to’ before all the stakeholders have agreed, and some then get grumpy).

Interesting. Not what I was taught!

Mushroom syndrome is not much better; no information is worse than limited information in some cases, & certainly the “we value flying within the ACO” feeling is not there (for these circumstances). The new 2FTS Cmdt has been in post over 6 months, so plenty of time for a “state of the nation” update.

2 Likes

The problem is, the “we value flying in the ACO” line espoused by HQAC and RAF, doesn’t really align with what the majority of the population including many in the ATC (I’d like to say all) would think that means. If you were to ask people, flying means being in an aircraft in the air, not sitting on the ground in front of a glorified computer game pretending to fly, no matter how much you dress it up.

Because flying has become more difficult for reasons of their own making and we (or more correctly the cadets) are the victims of levels of managerial dithering incompetence that would mean the job centre for many outside the MoD.

The new bloke at 2FTS has had plenty of time to publish, as suggested, plans, timelines and, in full, the problems they have and how they are going to resolve them. But I would say he hasn’t as every other plan and timeline has not come anywhere close. I’d expect lots of fanfares and haven’t we done well, about a month after the FUBAR we will get lumbered with is completed.

1 Like

You also have to look at the reduction in aircraft types / numbers in RAF service - no longer is there the plethora of bases where multi-engined aircraft could take up groups of cadets on a regular basis.

Looking at the meagre resources now, helicopter flights can be scrounged from Benson & Odiham. Forget jumping on anything at Waddington, so in reality, multi-aircraft flights are limited to Brize Norton. It will a while before the P-8s come on-line (& of geographically limited for local access).

So, only THREE main stations at the moment!!

That’s why, to me, it is of critical importance to get cadets flying by other means. We should be throwing money & time at BGA facilities - or working out a plan for VGS staff to operate BGA gliders if necessary - I don’t really care what / how, but anything to improve the current pitiful situation.

4 Likes

In terms of local availability there is much more WRT powered flight and IMO that’s what we should be doing … getting cadets to local flying clubs and getting them airborne and bring an end to the nonsense of having to travel for a “simulated flight”.
The BGA may offer another strand, but doesn’t seem to have the same presence as flying clubs/schools. I don’t have the same love affair with gliding many do, for cadets fine, but it always meant lots of sitting around for a few minutes and extreme fragility with faulty/broken winches and weather constraints, such that you got to the VGS and be told we have problems and it might happen later. A BGA option will have the same problems the main one being the weather. Powered flying for the first 38 years of my time in the ATC, much more reliable. Can’t say the same for the last 5 though.

For the last decade if not longer I’ve felt the RAF needs to cut our apron strings and let us do more without the crippling oversight. Can’t seeing them doing it too many jobs for the boys/girls, but for the longer term survival of Air Cadets we can’t remain as tied as we are. It’s odd that living in the consumer society we do with people changing this and that provision at the drop of a hat, that we are forced to put up with a poor service from the RAF.

The ‘love affair with gliding’ is based largely on cost. My son went solo with a BGA club for around £350; or the cost of a couple of hours’ flying training at a flying club. That included 30 something landings; in those couple of hours in a powered aircraft he wouldn’t have got close to solo standard.

For various reasons the RAF can’t run gliding at that price…

There is also the “on the scenes” experiences associated with glider handling that you don’t get with powered flying.

2 Likes

It is more about local availability for getting cadets airborne as people will understand, than any other more wistful reason. We have several flying clubs within 30-40 minute drive. The closest BGA club is c.1 hour 20 on a good day, I know this as it’s close to where my brother lived.

Our designated VGS is 3 hours just like our AEF.

Gliding versus powered flying = easy peasy, gliding wins hands down (unless of course your powered flying is free!

We had the options for both, but on the same budget, I think we got 5 cadets gliding (several) launches, all getting “hands on” time. For the same-ish expenditure, we could have got 4 cadets airborne for 20 -30 mins in a C172 = for sure, a flying experience, but only one would have got stick time. The gliding opportunity lasted several hours, they all watched each other launch / land & (under supervision of course) were able to assist in the various aspects of preparation / glider recovery on the gliding site.

3 Likes

Well we’ve had an update regarding ACTO 35. . .

What are people’s thoughts?

Nice to have some transparency

2 Likes

Briefing note.

It is hoped that the agreed policy will be promulgated in a revised ACTO 35 by April 2020.

Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Staffing of this should be well on the way in order to have something promulgated in perhaps 2 months… or am I being the eternal optimist? :wink:

I’ve asked our Reg Av O.

EDIT - & tweeted the Cmdt… :smiling_imp:

1 Like

An update about ACTO 35 is with Reg Av O’s, if not Wing Av O’s.

Hopefully then, something might get disseminated downwards to the coal face…

Meeting last weekend.

Waiting for details to be cascaded to WAvnOs / Sqns.

Is there a timeframe to that happening?

I believe hopefully within a week to get to Wg Av Offs…

1 Like