Acting corporal

Hi , I’ve recently been promoted to affine cpl and because of a fairly high standard sqn in the wing I need to be the best I can be or I will not get actually promoted to cpl. Any tips on what I can do to impress or just do as a cpl should

You can’t be promoted to acting Cpl as it doesn’t exist as a rank. Have they given you stripes? If not you are not a Cpl in any way.

If you are looking to get promoted take scan through the umpteen threads on here with cadets all asking the same question. Frankly get on with enjoying being a member of the Air Cadets and making the most of the activity opportunities that come up, become too focussed on and obsessed with promotion and the enjoyment will ebb.

The notion of a high standard in your Wing is someone playing silly games as you cannot objectively assess it. All assessments are subjective.

Yeah they have given me stripes but on sqn I have to wear white tapes so show that I’m an acting. I just don’t know what to expect because the staff say all the other cpl are doing a job and I need to do better

Taking the scenario where you are some sort of temporary corporal at your squadron, despite the fact the position and the insignia used do not officially exist within the ATC and are a deviance by your OC, has your squadron laid out clearly what it expects of Corporals (and other NCOs)? Without that basic guidance it is difficult for anybody to aim to meet a set of secret expectations and those expectations vary by squadron.

A corporal is basically a “squad leader” who should be able to, under the direction of an SNCO, take a group of cadets and work to complete a task. They should be part of the solution, not part of the problem, so we would be expecting a little less dorking-about and a little more maturity and responsibility. an an NCO you can still be friends with the cadets but you also know when it is “game on” and to do the job.

As for actual styles and techniques of leadership, that is a subject all on its own. Short version: try not to be the angry, shouty leader as everybody despises them. Be open to suggestions but then make a decision and go with it.

Finally for now, you cannot be an effective leader if you cannot follow instructions yourself.

Remember, it is just a game.

3 Likes